Couple of questions

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Progman
Finale Version: 14
Operating System: Windows

Post by Progman » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:27 pm

i respaced by note space and pressed update layout but it did not fix the wrong align and jaxtaposed. Then i deleted the notes and added them back again and finale decided to align correctly and superimpose:
Bar 4.jpg
Bar 4.jpg (10.36 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
How do i tell Finale to align and superimpose existing notes without deleting and adding back? Like the two C notes on the top staff here (bar 2) as well:
Bar 2.jpg
Bar 2.jpg (8.55 KiB) Viewed 2988 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:42 pm

Progman wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:27 pm
… How do I tell Finale to align and superimpose existing notes without deleting and adding back? …
The culprit is the Music Spacing.

My guess is that Automatic Music Spacing is toggled on in the Preferences.

A single change in the Document Options will make Music Spacing clear all “non-default” spacing:
Attachments
Document Options-MusicSpacing.jpg
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Progman

Post by Progman » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:18 pm

Manual positioning is on ignore. Changed to clear but the two C notes were the same, juxtaposed. Changed it back to ignore, deleted the bar and added back notes and Finale superimposed them, at least it works for new notes:
Bar 2.jpg
Bar 2.jpg (8.32 KiB) Viewed 2977 times

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:50 am

Progman wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:18 pm
Manual positioning is on ignore. Changed to clear but the two C notes were the same, juxtaposed …
Automatic Music Spacing is on - right?

It sounds like you did not Apply Music Spacing.
Automatic Music Spacing does not “do its thing” if you merely change a setting in Document Options - it only does its thing when you enter music.

Progman

Post by Progman » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:30 pm

Yes, Automatic with minimum distance between: 0.04167
I did not change any document settings. Is this ok?

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:43 pm

I am sorry, I did not explain myself well.

You wrote:
“… Changed to Clear but the two C notes were the same, juxtaposed …”

What I meant, was:
Changing the setting for Manual Positioning to ‘Clear’ will not take effect until Music Spacing is applied.

In Other Words:
First change the setting for Manual Positioning to ‘Clear’.
Next, you must - manually - Apply Music Spacing. *)
Now the two C notes will be properly aligned and superimposed.

*) Automatic Music Spacing will not kick in at this step, and “automatically” apply the Music Spacing for you - since you only changed a setting in the Document Options.
Automatic Music Spacing will only kick in when you enter music.
It will not kick in when you merely change the Document Options.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:01 pm

layers.jpg
Enter notes in Layer 1 and 2, Ctrl+4, Ctrl+U. Make the F in layer 1 a half note and hide the rest. All from Speedy and the keyboard.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

Progman

Post by Progman » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:18 pm

@Peter Thomsen
Thanks for the clarification. Done.
@ebiggs1
How come in your example it completely vanishes the rest after the F but when i press H in simple (or in speedy) it only grays out the rest?

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:22 pm

This is what I get - without any rests, neither hidden nor showing:
Attachments
Measure4.jpg
Measure4.jpg (11.07 KiB) Viewed 2875 times

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:31 pm

Progman wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:18 pm
How come in your example it completely vanishes the rest after the F but when i press H in simple (or in speedy) it only grays out the rest?
View menu -> Show -> Hidden Notes and rests (uncheck it).
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:09 pm

Progman/ wrote: How come in your example it completely vanishes the rest after the F but when i press H in simple (or in speedy) it only grays out the rest?
Probably because it’s a screenshot of a PDF. The greyed out (hidden) notes or rests don’t show in the printout or PDF. You can control how dark or light they appear in the Finale doc in the Program Preferences.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:29 pm

This is what I get - without any rests, neither hidden nor showing:
You might show the OP the steps? :wink:
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:21 pm

ebiggs1 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:29 pm
… You might show the OP the steps? …
There are no secrets in this.

1) I just filled each layer with notes (a total duration of 6 quarters - only notes, no rests).

Treble clef, Layer 1: half - 8th - 8th - dotted half = 6 quarters

Treble clef, Layer 2: quarter - 8th - 8th - 8th - 8th - dotted half = 6 quarters

Bass clef, Layer 1: dotted quarter - 8th - quarter - quarter - half = 6 quarters

Bass clef, Layer 2: half - half - half = 6 quarters

2) I have already explained the settings for Music Spacing.

Progman

Post by Progman » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:47 pm

Thanks for the explanation ^^
I feel more confidence using finale without breaking my head (or the keyboard :o ) thanks to the answers here.

1. How do you enter fingerings? Using the expression tool, I edited 1-5 default key bindings for 1-5 fingerings (moved 1-5 default key bindings to 79-83). Is this the best solution to enter fingerings? Is there other way to enter fingering without loosing 1-5 default expression tool key bindings?
2. When i try to enter fingering in other piece i'm writing, i notice that finale did not remember my edited fingerings key binding from the other piece. How to set it globally?
fingerings.jpg
3. Is it possible to cut and paste certain notes from one layer to another? In a lot of bars like in this one, before i knew how to use layers, i wrote all voices in layer 1, i want the bottom voice in the top staff and the bass line in the bottom staff to be in layer 2.
Same player.jpg
Same player.jpg (7.52 KiB) Viewed 2758 times

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:26 pm

There are no secrets in this.
Right, Peter, no secrets to you and I but to someone asking how, it is a secret. Steps are always nice for that person.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:33 pm

Your fingerings settings are specific to that document. When you open a new document or any other Finale document it gets its set which is the Finale default. You need to save the set you modify as a library and load it in the new document.
You will save it as a library and give it a unique name. Than open the new, or other document, and load that specific library.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:46 pm

Is it possible to cut and paste certain notes from one layer to another?
Yes it is.
move notes.jpg
You just need to make use of the layers control features. You must use Show Active Layer Only in the Document's tab. This makes it possible to edit one layer without editing any other layer. Simply copy and paste. You may have to correct stems.
A worthwhile plug-in for this type work is JW Polyphony.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:07 pm

See also Move/Copy Layers on the Edit menu. If you want to copy from one layer on one staff to a different layer on another staff, you have to copy to the same layer first, then move it with that. Sometimes a scratch staff is handy.

Progman

Post by Progman » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:38 pm

1. I saved library with shape expressions checked, loaded in the other piece, but now it sorted 1-5 with no key bindings, how to fix?
fingerings.jpg
2. When i try to copy the bottom voices, in the top staff it only highlight the whole staff. How to copy bottom voices in the top staff and the bass line in the bottom staff without the top voices in the top staff?

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:52 pm

Progman,

You are not talking “Finale-speak”.
If I misunderstand you, then I apologize.

Progman wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:38 pm
… I saved library with shape expressions checked, loaded in the other piece, but now it sorted 1-5 with no key bindings, how to fix? …
I suppose that you by your words “key bindings” mean metatools - right?
Expression metatools are document specific.
They are not saved in expression libraries.
Hence metatools are not loaded when a library is loaded.
This avoids that a library overwrites a document’s already existing metatools.

Fix:
1) To program the metatools in a specific document, open the Finale document, switch to the Expression Tool, hold down Shift, and hit the key you want to program as trigger key (e. g. the number 1 key).
Finale will display the Expression Selection where you can choose the expression for your new metatool (e. g. the expression with fingering number 1).
Repeat this procedure for each metatool.

To avoid loading libraries and programming metatools in all new documents, load the libraries, and program the metatools, in the template you use for new documents.

Progman wrote:
… 2. When i try to copy the bottom voices, in the top staff it only highlight the whole staff. How to copy bottom voices in the top staff and the bass line in the bottom staff without the top voices in the top staff?
I suppose that you are talking about layers, and how to copy only one layer - right?

Fix:
Document menu > Show Active Layer Only

Show Active Layer Only also means Edit Active Layer Only.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:30 pm

To avoid loading libraries and programming metatools in all new documents, load the libraries, and program the metatools, in the template you use for new documents.
This is a great idea and something I use a lot. I would even suggest making this "default template" exactly how you will use it, then save it normally as a .musx file. You can save more things in the file this way like the full instruments with an arbitrary number of measures and measure number positions, rehearsal marks, fonts or whatever and do simple edits as you need. I have about a dozen of these so-called "template files" saved as .musx files and ready to go.

In Finale speak voices can refer to the voices inside a layer. We are assuming you are referring to the lower pitches in your example. As we assume “key bindings” refers to the meta key assignments to specific items in Finale. In Finale there's almost nothing that can't be done. The trick is to figure out how.

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:08 pm

Progman wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:33 am
2. How to create keyboard shortcut to call the simple entry tool and any other tool for that matter?
This was asked in the first post on this thread. Possibly the innate feature to program keys for tools was overlooked. Anyway, I didn't notice it was mentioned.
Select a tool, press Shift+any of function keys F2-F12. After that, simply press the assigned function key to select the tool. (For some strange reason the F keys 10 and 12 do not work on my computer, but there are still 9 left - more or less enough for me.)
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:34 pm

I believe those are document-specific, though (I could be wrong). I use the TG Tools Menu Shortcuts, which are not.
Attachments
0053.png
0053.png (7.35 KiB) Viewed 2667 times

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:47 am

On the Mac, you can program keyboard shortcuts for either the OS, or for a particular program. Here are about half of the ones I use.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 7.46.53 PM.jpg
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Progman

Post by Progman » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:01 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:52 pm
Progman,

You are not talking “Finale-speak”.
If I misunderstand you, then I apologize.

Progman wrote:
… I saved library with shape expressions checked, loaded in the other piece, but now it sorted 1-5 with no key bindings, how to fix? …
I suppose that you by your words “key bindings” mean metatools - right?
Expression metatools are document specific.
They are not saved in expression libraries.
Hence metatools are not loaded when a library is loaded.
This avoids that a library overwrites a document’s already existing metatools.

Fix:
1) To program the metatools in a specific document, open the Finale document, switch to the Expression Tool, hold down Shift, and hit the key you want to program as trigger key (e. g. the number 1 key).
Finale will display the Expression Selection where you can choose the expression for your new metatool (e. g. the expression with fingering number 1).
Repeat this procedure for each metatool.

Progman wrote:
… 2. When i try to copy the bottom voices, in the top staff it only highlight the whole staff. How to copy bottom voices in the top staff and the bass line in the bottom staff without the top voices in the top staff?
I suppose that you are talking about layers, and how to copy only one layer - right?

Fix:
Document menu > Show Active Layer Only

Show Active Layer Only also means Edit Active Layer Only.
1.Yes, i will try to speak in finale terms.
2. I mean, how to copy ONLY the bottom voice in the right hand (A F A F E F E F) and the bass line in the left hand (D E), from layer 1 to layer 2.
Layer 1.jpg
Layer 1.jpg (7.36 KiB) Viewed 2632 times