How to check tempo in any given bar...

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Florio60
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by Florio60 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:18 am

If I set a tempo using an expression, for example allegro = 120, how can I check if this tempo is maintained throughout the piece? I'm sure that in playback (Human Playback), the piece I'm working on becomes slower about halfway through. I've turned off 'rubato' and other playback features but I'm still convinced that the opening tempo is not maintained. Is it possibile to know the tempo in any given bar of a piece.
Florio
Finale 2014.5
Windows 11

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:10 pm

Florio60 wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:18 am
… I've turned off 'rubato' and other playback features …
You have turned off ‘rubato’ and “other playback features”.

Does “other playback features” include Tempo Changes in the MIDI Data?

You can clear tempo changes from the MIDI Data:
Edit menu > Clear Selected Items…
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:42 pm

I may be mistaken, but I think the following three items must be set to zero % for the tempo to play back at constant speed: Rhythmic Feel, Rubato and Mood.

If you plan on exporting an audio files in Finale and mixing them down with other tracks in a DAW, you are likely to encounter sync issues as different apps process time differently. For instance, a drum track created in Hydrogen and WAV file from Finale will suffer asynchrony at the end, due audio drift of approximately 70 ms after only 2 minutes, which is quite noticeable. Fortunately, sync issues are easily corrected in DAWs, like Ableton Live and the free but excellent Waveform.

Which apps inaccurately render time can only be calculated manually. I recently had occasion to calculate when the third beat occurs in the 37th measure, in a piece that is written in 2/2 at 160 BPM. I calculated 54 min and 750ms, and Finale proved very good.