Deleting notes using the selection tool and the backspace key.

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

alin89c
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by alin89c » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:13 pm

Hi there! I've noticed that by using the selection tool, I can turn a whole note to a dotted half note quicker; especially, when notes are written on multiple layers & staves. However, there's a down side to this method: when deleted, a selected note turns into a rest (when backspace key is pressed).

Problem I think I need help with:
I can't figure out how to tell Finale that when I select a note (using the selection tool) and hit backspace, I want the note gone (not hidden) and not turned into a rest. Is this possible? (to select the note using the selection tool, to press backspace, then have nothing in the place of the deleted note). The reason I'm asking is because I want the remaining notes in the measure to slide to the left when a note is deleted with the selection tool.

When I shortened the dotted quarter note, I ended up with these rests that I'd really like not to delete one by one. I'd like to be able to use the selection tool and then use the backspace key (or a plugin) to delete them...
Screenshot 2022-04-17 at 16.40.30.png
Thank you.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:19 pm

alin89c,

You are using Mac Finale - right?

If I misunderstand you, then I apologize.
To me it sounds like you are not talking “Finale-speak”, at least not correctly.

1) You tell that you “select a note (using the Selection Tool)”.
But your screen shot indicates that you are not selecting the note, but rather selecting the beat (= region) where the note is.
My guess is that you are selecting by dragging across the staff - right?
Dragging selects a region.
When a region is selected, then hitting the Backspace key works in the same way as
Edit menu > Clear All Items

2) To select an item (= a note, an articulation, an expression, a chord symbol, &c.), double-click the item.
Finale will take you to the tool that created the item, with the item selected.
Double-clicking on a note will take you to the Simple Entry Tool, with the note highlighted.
Now you can delete the note by hitting Backspace.

3) You can delete a real rest in the same way (Default Whole Rests are empty; they are not Real Whole Rests).
alin89c wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:13 pm
… When I shortened the dotted quarter note, I ended up with these rests that I'd really like not to delete one by one. I'd like to be able to use the selection tool and then use the backspace key (or a plugin) to delete them …
You are trying to delete the rests because you need the remaining notes in the measure to slide to the left when a note is deleted - right?

Unfortunately I do not know of a way to do so without deleting each rest individually (as described above).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:40 pm

I don't know of any way of doing that.

Are you using mouse entry? The best way to save time would be to learn QWERTY entry.

alin89c
Finale Version: 25

Post by alin89c » Thu May 05, 2022 3:30 am

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:19 pm
You are trying to delete the rests because you need the remaining notes in the measure to slide to the left when a note is deleted - right?
Unfortunately I do not know of a way to do so without deleting each rest individually (as described above).
:(