Page Layout: Automatically fits only one measure per sytem

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

danielschellmus
Finale Version: Finale 27.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by danielschellmus » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:10 am

I join file 'Lizzards for Fish'
From page 1 to 4, Finale fits automatically a correct number of measures per system.
But from page 5 , suddenly, only one measure par system.
I tried all parameters in page mode but I could not find a way to fit automatically measures in the page.
Help appreciated
Daniel
Attachments
Lizzards_for_Fish_SCORE_V04_C429.musx
(135.02 KiB) Downloaded 38 times

mmike
Finale Version: 27.4

Post by mmike » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:22 pm

Page Layout > Systems > Edit Margins
You need to adjust your system margins to what you want. There are a few that are different from each other in small ways, but the right margin from System 8 on is much too large.
Finale 3.7 > 27.4.1, GPO5, ASUS laptop, 18.4'' display, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, WIN 10 Pro, Cubase

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:31 pm

Start doing Page Layout -> Redefine pages - All pages.
But after that, there is some work to do. While in the Selection tool, use Fit Measures (Utilities) or the up/down arrows to move mesures in the previous/next system.
If you want 2 systems per page, you may have to reduce the system margins.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

danielschellmus

Post by danielschellmus » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:20 pm

Thanks for the help
What I needed precisely was PAGE LAYOUT / SYSTEMS / EDIT MARGINS and then in the Dialog : CHANGE and click ALL which affects all pages.
Not easy to find that one!
THanks again.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:27 pm

danielschellmus wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:20 pm
Thanks for the help
What I needed precisely was PAGE LAYOUT / SYSTEMS / EDIT MARGINS and then in the Dialog : CHANGE and click ALL which affects all pages.
Not easy to find that one!
THanks again.
If you solve your problem in that way, then you have solved the problem for the already existing pages/systems only.

If you later extend the document with more systems/pages, then the problem will come back in the added systems/pages.

For a more permanent solution, go to
Document menu > Page Format > Score…

The settings in Page Format for Score are the settings that will be used for new pages/systems.
Also, the settings in Page Format for Score are the settings that will be used if you Redefine Pages, as described in michelp’s post.

The current settings in the document’s Page Format for Score are not the settings you are using in the already existing pages.

Correct the settings in Page Format for Score, and the document will behave, no matter what you do.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

dtoub
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by dtoub » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:33 pm

This was an issue for me as well until I finally figured that one out. The problem is that there are at least three page format commands within the submenus, and also a lot of options in the Page Layout tool that can be confusing. It's also very archaic; the fact that so much of Finale still requires a user to input numbers and do trial and error or else hope for the best (one example is creating large time signatures-I always have to play with the upper and lower numbers when it would be so much easier and faster to simply drag the numbers where I want them) is just one reason why the Dorico folks think we are all dinosaurs.
http://dbtmusic.wordpress.com

https://dtoub.bandcamp.com/

Finale 27.x/macOS Sonoma/GPO 5/NotePerformer/Perfect Layout/Reason 12

danielschellmus

Post by danielschellmus » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:51 pm

Thank you Peter and the others
I solved now the problem and understands fully the process
Best
Daniel