Creating multimeasure rests with hidden staffs

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

SilverWerewolf
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by SilverWerewolf » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:49 pm

Hello, I'm using Finale 2014, and I haven't been using this feature for a looong while, and I forgotten how.
I have a score with four staves (Soprano-Alto, Tenor-Bass and two organ staves). The first four measure of the SATB staves are empty, but not the organ staves.
I have hidden the instruments staves, and wish to create multi-measure rests for the voices.
How do I go about doing this ? (Document - create multimeasure rests won't allow me to create this...)

Thanks,
Denis

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:14 pm

SilverWerewolf wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:49 pm
… I have a score with four staves (Soprano-Alto, Tenor-Bass and two organ staves). The first four measure of the SATB staves are empty, but not the organ staves.
I have hidden the instruments staves, and wish to create multi-measure rests for the voices …
If I understand you correctly, you are trying to create a “vocal-only” score, with only the vocal staves (and no instrument staves anywhere) - right?

I would create the “vocal-only” score as a new, linked part, and include only the vocal staves, not the instrument staves.

In this (linked) Part you have only the vocal staves.
And you can create multimeasure rests.

You can still see all the staves (vocal and instrumental) in the Score.

To view the Score, go to
Document menu > Edit Score

To view a linked Part (like e. g. the “vocal only” score), go to
Document menu > Edit Part > …
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

SilverWerewolf
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by SilverWerewolf » Sun May 08, 2022 1:16 pm

Thanks for the info !

I've managed to create a voice only partition, with multimeasure rests, but now the staff names have dissapeared. Will get them back eventually. This file was created with Finale '97 (now using 2014), and I've lost the formatting. I thank you for your hints, they were helpful!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun May 08, 2022 2:39 pm

SilverWerewolf wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 1:16 pm
… but now the staff names have disappeared …
Probably the solution is in the Staff Tool.
My first guess would be that you can get the staff names back with a custom staff style, applied only in the {voice only partition}.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996