Contra Bass or Double Bass?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by John Ruggero » Sat May 07, 2022 12:03 pm

Anyone mentioned "bass viol", the granddaddy of them all? Also, Violone, and bass violin, although bass violin doesn't seem correct since I don't think the contrabass is part of the violin family.

One could get away with gut bucket by abbreviating it G.B. for Great Bass.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

ttw
Finale Version: 27.4
Operating System: Windows

Post by ttw » Sat May 07, 2022 1:21 pm

As in "Great Bass and Little Fishes"?

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat May 07, 2022 5:19 pm

I would abbreviate Contrabass "Cb.", lowercase b.

Tomas E
Finale Version: 25

Post by Tomas E » Sun May 08, 2022 9:14 am

Me too. Already done.
Windows 11, Finale 27.4.1

Tomas E

Post by Tomas E » Sun May 08, 2022 9:37 am

In general it seems as if the trend goes towards English instrument names instead of Italian ones, am I right?

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:00 am

John Ruggero wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 12:03 pm
Anyone mentioned "bass viol", the granddaddy of them all? Also, Violone, and bass violin, although bass violin doesn't seem correct since I don't think the contrabass is part of the violin family.
I always think it's funny that "Violoncello" means "Little Violone", and of course Violone mean "Big Viol".

AnneMillington
Finale Version: 27.3.0

Post by AnneMillington » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:37 pm

I write for string quintet, and in this context I like to use Contrabass, abbreviated as Cb. This is consistent with Violoncello, abbreviated as Vc, Viola as Va, and Violin I and Violin II, abbreviated as Vn I and Vn II. All 2 letter abbreviations with consistent rules. There. Now you know my private little OCD secret. :lol:

But I play cello and bass and that's what I call them. Cello and bass. Not even an apostrophe!

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:26 pm

Probably in a Bluegrass music setting, the bass can sometimes be referred to as a "Bull Fiddle".
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:23 am

AnneMillington wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:37 pm
I like to use Contrabass, abbreviated as Cb. This is consistent with Violoncello, abbreviated as Vc, Viola as Va, and Violin I and Violin II, abbreviated as Vn I and Vn II.
Nothing OCD there. I think that system is often used.

Arnold Arnstein took the opposite approach and wanted each of the instrument labels to be as dissimilar from each other as possible as a visual aid to the conductor. So he used Vln 1, Vln 2, Viola, Cello, Bass. Note that each of them except the bass has 5 "characters": nice and even. He didn't see the point in abbreviating such short words, especially since the Vln 1 and Vln 2 determined the left margin in any case.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

motet

Post by motet » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:44 am

I use "contrabass."

I remember reading that the "double" in "double bass" refers to doubling the cello or the continuo, but I can't find where I read that. I do remember thinking at the time it sounded like folk--i.e. bogus--etymology, and indeed it may not be true. But if it is, then "double bassoon" or odouble clarinet" may not be good analogies.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:06 am

motet wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:44 am
… I remember reading that the "double" in "double bass" refers to doubling the cello or the continuo, but I can't find where I read that. I do remember thinking at the time it sounded like folk--i.e. bogus--etymology, and indeed it may not be true …
As Far As I Know, the term ‘double bass’ in this usage means an octave lower than the usual bass register (and hence the instrument’s bigger, “double” size).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:02 pm

FWIW (almost nothing, I suspect) I use ‘Double Bass’ abbreviated to ‘D.B.’ or ‘D.Bs.’ and ‘Double Bassoon’ abbreviated to ‘D. Bsn.’, but I have ‘Contrabass Clarinet’ abbreviated to ‘Cb. Clar.’, which is inconsistent. However, this inconsistency does not bother me at all, as I have never tried to be a style purist.

My point is, as long as it's understood, it shouldn't matter whether it's ‘contra’ or ‘double’.
Last edited by David Ward on Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

mknoll
Finale Version: 2014, 2014.5, 25

Post by mknoll » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:23 pm

BuonTempi wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:00 am

I always think it's funny that "Violoncello" means "Little Violone", and of course Violone mean "Big Viol".
Of course, Bach sometimes calls for a violoncello piccolo, a "little small large viol."

AnneMillington
Finale Version: 27.3.0

Post by AnneMillington » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:18 pm

John Ruggero wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:23 am

Arnold Arnstein took the opposite approach and wanted each of the instrument labels to be as dissimilar from each other as possible as a visual aid to the conductor. So he used Vln 1, Vln 2, Viola, Cello, Bass. Note that each of them except the bass has 5 "characters": nice and even. He didn't see the point in abbreviating such short words, especially since the Vln 1 and Vln 2 determined the left margin in any case.
Makes a lot of sense, and very thoughtful!

motet

Post by motet » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:08 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:06 am
motet wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:44 am
… I remember reading that the "double" in "double bass" refers to doubling the cello or the continuo, but I can't find where I read that. I do remember thinking at the time it sounded like folk--i.e. bogus--etymology, and indeed it may not be true …
As Far As I Know, the term ‘double bass’ in this usage means an octave lower than the usual bass register (and hence the instrument’s bigger, “double” size).
I found this on the Oxford University Press website (publishers of the Grove Dictionary):
The origin of the name of the double bass stems from the fact that its initial function was to double the bass line of large ensembles.
https://blog.oup.com/2015/05/double-bass/

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:04 am

There seems to be disagreement about that very question.

According to Wikipedia:
The names contrabass and double bass refer to the instrument's range and use one octave lower than the cello (i.e. doubling on cello).

Quoting an old forum post from ten years ago, posted by forum user Epilogue:
… When looking at various bass blogs and forums on the internet, I’ve noticed some massive confusion about the term ‘double bass’. One thing that became apparent to me from the outset is the amount of people who just…make-up-stuff…without doing any research. The most outlandish falsehood spreading-around is that the word ‘double’ in ‘double bass’ is somehow a reference to its’ doubling another instrument in an orchestra. That is simply NOT true – never has been and never will be! Who ever started that rumor should not be shot, but perhaps grazed a little. It reminds me of comedian Steve Martin’s stand-up routine from a few decades ago when out-of-the-blue he suddenly says, “Always have REALLY strong opinions about things you know NOTHING about!” The term ‘double bass’ in this usage means an octave lower than the usual bass register …
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet

Post by motet » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:00 am

The Oxford English Dictionary says of "double"
4.b.
1654–
Music. In names of musical instruments, organ stops, etc.: Sounding an octave lower in pitch.
(A pipe, string, etc. of twice the length of another (ceteris paribus) gives a note an octave lower; hence this use.)
and gives "double bassoon" as an example. So touché!

Tomas E

Post by Tomas E » Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:00 am

bkshepard wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 7:58 pm
It's always been my understanding that Contra refers to its range while Double refers to what it does.
To me that seems to be the most logical explanation.

Does anyone say "these notes should be played in the double octave"?

Furthermore we have the sub-contra octave. Does anyone say sub-double octave?

mknoll
Finale Version: 2014, 2014.5, 25

Post by mknoll » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:18 pm

Organologically, instruments that play an octave lower than written are 16-foot instruments, while those that play at written pitch are 8-foot instruments. I've always assumed that's where the "double" comes from.

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:36 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:04 am
There seems to be disagreement about that very question.

According to Wikipedia:
The names contrabass and double bass refer to the instrument's range and use one octave lower than the cello (i.e. doubling on cello).

Quoting an old forum post from ten years ago, posted by forum user Epilogue:
… When looking at various bass blogs and forums on the internet, I’ve noticed some massive confusion about the term ‘double bass’. One thing that became apparent to me from the outset is the amount of people who just…make-up-stuff…without doing any research. The most outlandish falsehood spreading-around is that the word ‘double’ in ‘double bass’ is somehow a reference to its’ doubling another instrument in an orchestra. That is simply NOT true – never has been and never will be! Who ever started that rumor should not be shot, but perhaps grazed a little. It reminds me of comedian Steve Martin’s stand-up routine from a few decades ago when out-of-the-blue he suddenly says, “Always have REALLY strong opinions about things you know NOTHING about!” The term ‘double bass’ in this usage means an octave lower than the usual bass register …
Another, somewhat less "bloggy" quote than the one from Epilogue, here from Groves:
"Double". An adjective used to indicate a lower octave. Thus the double bassoon plays in the octave below the bassoon, the double bass an octave below the violoncello and so on. This usage derives from the old practice of identifying notes below gamma ut (the G on the bottom line of the bass stave) by double letters, FF, EE and so on. Organ builders still refer to these low pitches as ‘double F’, ‘double E’ etc. ‘Double harp’ (arpa doppia) signifies a harp with more than one rank of strings ( see Harp, §V, 5 ).

Keyboard instruments with two manuals are called ‘double’. But in the 16th and 17th centuries the terms ‘double harpsichord’, ‘double regals’, ‘double virginals’ or even ‘double curtall’ (and also the Doppelfagott mentioned by Praetorius in 1619) more often referred to instruments whose ranges extended below gamma ut. For further information see F.W. Galpin: Old English Instruments of Music (London, 4/1965), 212ff.
Needless to say 'contra' as in 'contrabassoon' etc. also means in the lower octave. So the there doesn't seem to be much point in finding a distinction between 'double' and 'contra' in this situation. Music language is loaded with 'double expressions' for the same thing, or with 'double meanings' of the same expression (pun intended).
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10