Multiple Scores in one Document

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

rogue335
Finale Version: 27.3.0.137
Operating System: Windows

Post by rogue335 » Fri May 06, 2022 6:26 pm

I've been trying to figure out what I should do to solve this specific issue for me. I would like to have multiple scores in one document. By that I mean 1 "full" score, and 3 additional scores for "section" scores. This is for a marching ensemble, so it is ideal that there are scores of just the individual sections (winds, battery percussion, front ensemble).

I understand this is possible through creating a linked part (change part name to "winds score" and then add all instruments into that part.) The issues are the following for my specific use:

1.) I am hiding time signatures in the score because I have oversized time signatures. In the parts, this displays as the normal time signature, but if my other 3 scores are technically considered "parts" I cannot have this display there without the actual part time signatures being too large.

2.) I am hiding staff names in the parts as I have the part name in the top left corner of each part. Since the scores are technically parts, they do not display staff names like my full score.

3.) I am going to run into similar issue with the measure number regions in the score/parts. Main issue here is just font size and location.

4.) Expressions shouldn't be too rough as I can duplicate the categories and adjust size as needed/hide in the parts the ones I do not want to display there.

Is this even possible? Or should I stick with creating additional scores as needed? just trying to slim down the work-load in my process overall.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun May 08, 2022 3:31 am

Make the Finale score the concert-pitch score, then make a "part" for the other score.

rogue335

Post by rogue335 » Tue May 10, 2022 1:09 pm

motet wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 3:31 am
Make the Finale score the concert-pitch score, then make a "part" for the other score.
This is exactly what I'm doing, the problem is there are elements in the score file that I would also like to have in the "Part" scores. Like large time signatures. The Full Score is 21 different staves/stave groups + or - 1-2 staves for soloists at the top. First score "part" is 9-10 staves for "winds". 2nd score part is 3 staves for battery percussion, 3rd score part is 10 staves for front ensemble.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue May 10, 2022 4:21 pm

I don't really understand any of that, but in some cases it makes sense to just have a separate file. Don't do that until your piece is completely finished, though.

mmike
Finale Version: 27.4

Post by mmike » Tue May 10, 2022 5:27 pm

elements in the score file that I would also like to have in the "Part" scores. Like large time signatures
Shouldn't be a problem. You can specify the large time signature for the "parts" score in Document Options > Notation > Fonts > Time (Parts). You may have to adjust things in Document Options > Times Singnatures to place them just the way you want them to appear, but once you've figured out these settings just use them for all of your "parts" scores.
it makes sense to just have a separate file. Don't do that until your piece is completely finished
Absolutely! Make your adjustments in these scores for parts appearances, even if t looks strange in the scores, as long as you get what you want in the parts. And, as said, all that only AFTER the music is absolutely correct. If you start changing notes, etc, afterwards, then it'll get complicated. I always have several different scores for different groups of parts (as well as often yet another one for playback if you need that).
Finale 3.7 > 27.4.1, GPO5, ASUS laptop, 18.4'' display, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, WIN 10 Pro, Cubase

rogue335

Post by rogue335 » Thu May 12, 2022 4:39 am

Unfortunately this is the kind of thing that is not finished until the group is done performing it, so I'm just trying to see if this is a possibility. The current method is keep our own section scores and update them as any change gets pushed out but that can get hairy if someone forgets to update something. We all work directly with the people playing this music as well as communicate with others teaching it/designing the other aspects of the show (competitive marching arts) so we usually end up making edits/adjustments to the music as our season progresses.

Just to give an idea of the time-frame here, we've been working in this document (3 people) since November of last year and will continue to use it until August of this year.

rogue335

Post by rogue335 » Thu May 12, 2022 4:44 am

mmike wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 5:27 pm
Shouldn't be a problem. You can specify the large time signature for the "parts" score in Document Options > Notation > Fonts > Time (Parts). You may have to adjust things in Document Options > Times Singnatures to place them just the way you want them to appear, but once you've figured out these settings just use them for all of your "parts" scores.
I've been trying to find a method where I can do this, but also keep normal sized time signatures in the real parts that are linked in the same document. That's the major hangup here.. I can just change the font/size when I need to print said parts, but that also is an added process to the workflow. Is it possible to make some sort of staff style that changes font style and positioning? or a plugin/script that can handle it? I've delved into JW lua/jetstream controller a little bit but haven't found anything that really seems like it would be able to do what I need.