Text disappears when zooming in

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Sun May 08, 2022 8:26 am

When I use the Text tool, the font is always default black. But in one score, some text I added changed to red and is visible only when viewed at 100% or less. At 200%, the text becomes hidden.

If I add more text in the problematic document, it correctly appears in black and remains visible at 200%. What might have caused the originally text to turn red and become hidden at 200%, and how might I make the text visible when zooming in?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun May 08, 2022 11:12 am

Assuming that the text block actually IS a text block (= created with the Text Tool), and not something else (perhaps an expression), then the red text block is measure/staff attached (not page attached).

To find out:
Text Tool.
A handle appears on the text block.
Select this handle.
Text menu > Frame Attributes… (keyboard shortcut: Shift-Return)

In the Frame Attributes you can see whether the text block is {Page Attached} or {Measure/Staff Attached}.

Generally, when you add a text block from Page View, the text block will by default be Page Attached.

If you add a text block from Scroll View, the text block will by default be Measure/Staff Attached.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun May 08, 2022 6:10 pm

There's also a bug wherein if you have grace notes defined as tuplets (which is incorrect notation) then the entire page can disappear when zooming in or out. I suppose it could affect just one item too, though not likely. But if you have any grace-note tuplets, replace them with plain grace notes.

Djard

Post by Djard » Tue May 10, 2022 7:43 am

Thanks for clearing up the mystery. No tuplet grace notes involved, but I forgot that I attached the text to the measures, which evidently is incompatible with the zoom feature. I can only conclude the issue is yet another bug in the loooooong list that will only get addressed when the Pause button is made functional. Pardon the cynicism.

The text is also absent in Scroll View. In Studio View, the text is displaced, obscured by a staff as do the lyrics. Really lame. I know, I know...it's not a perfect world. Sigh!

mmike
Finale Version: 27.4

Post by mmike » Tue May 10, 2022 11:05 am

the issue is yet another bug
No bug. As Peter explained, that's how it works. In Frame Attributes you can control exactly where you want it, you just have to put it in the right place and view. No point seeing a page attached text in scroll (or studio) view. As for viewing different percentages I see no problem - all text blocks I create correctly can be seen at any zoom in any (correct) view (tried 20% > 1000%, whatever).
Finale 3.7 > 27.4.1, GPO5, ASUS laptop, 18.4'' display, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, WIN 10 Pro, Cubase

Djard

Post by Djard » Fri May 13, 2022 5:39 am

Thanks for the response.

I can zoom out to 70% and 50% and not lose the text. But anything over 200% and the text disappers.

But as I stated earlier, the problem I describe occurs only when attaching a text block to a measure. When I add a text freely, I can zoom in to 400% without losing the text.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri May 13, 2022 3:41 pm

Can you attach a file exhibiting the problem? Then we can see if it's a universal bug or something with your set-up.

Djard

Post by Djard » Sat May 14, 2022 11:43 am

I am unable to upload the file because of the file size limitation at this forum. I deleted all the pages except the first, even deleted all the instruments except one. I also deleted all the resident expressions, articulations and custom lines but could not get below 250KB. But then the problem got resolved. I notice that a lot of the issues I encounter are specific to a page. Oh well! I can live with the matter. The text block was merely a series of chord names mid page to which I could refer when writing. I planned to remove the text, once finished.