Fermata on default whole rest

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by John Ruggero » Thu May 26, 2022 9:49 pm

A. Arnstein used only whole note rests for whole measure rests in almost all meters, just as you propose, but he didn't use real whole-note rests in 4/2 because the situation shown in the following example from Brahms' Requiem:
Brahms Requiem.jpeg
I think that it would look strange and possibly confusing if whole-note whole-measure rests were used next to real whole rests. So I would vote for retaining the breve convention if real whole-note rests are also used.

I believe that Arnstein did not use the standard whole-note whole-measure rests in meters with only one beat in them such as 1/4, 1/8 etc. but actual quarter and eighth rests. I think that this is also advisable.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Thu May 26, 2022 11:07 pm

What would Arnstein say about writing cut time for 4/2? :-)

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Fri May 27, 2022 12:50 am

If it occurred in the context of preparing orchestral parts, I'm pretty sure that he would have changed it to 4/2, since he had no qualms about changing composer's notation to adhere to his own standard practice. He would also have changed all the real whole rests in the Brahms to two half rests to avoid using the same symbol for two different rhythmic values.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri May 27, 2022 4:52 am

mmike wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 8:22 pm
… it only works on measures that have default whole rests. If you apply that staff attribute after having worked on a score and have some real whole rests, you have to first change them to default rests …
Fortunately there is a plug-in for that change:

Plug-ins menu > Note, Beam, and Rest Editing > Change to Default Whole Rests

(There is also a plug-in for changing Default Whole Rests to Real Whole Rests)
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

mmike
Finale Version: 27.4
Operating System: Windows

Post by mmike » Fri May 27, 2022 6:14 am

there is a plug-in for that change
Yes, that's what I am using and it all works well together. However, one little thing I came across when doing this to an existing document, and something to look out for: if you had deleted some notes individually, creating rests of smaller values in a measure, then they have to be deleted to make a whole rest. No big problem, though.
Finale 3.7 > 27.4.1, GPO5, ASUS laptop, 18.4'' display, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, WIN 10 Pro, Cubase