Problems with Repeat Brackets

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:54 am

In the attached, measures 24-25, I need to be able to edit the height of the piano's horizontal repeat bracket, because otherwise, it cuts right through notes. I was able to do this with the 2nd measure ending, but when I tried exactly the same procedure on the bracket for the 1st measure ending, I ended up with TWO horizontal lines instead of just one. Very frustrating!

How can I get this to work properly?

Thanks,

Mark
Finale 26
OS 12.4
Attachments
1. Welcome Winter TTBB with piano red.musx
(129.01 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:20 am

mark carlson wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:54 am
… when I tried exactly the same procedure on the bracket for the 1st measure ending, I ended up with TWO horizontal lines instead of just one. Very frustrating!

How can I get this to work properly? …
Actually this does work properly.
The two horizontal lines are both supposed to be there.
Just adjust both lines.

The confusion comes from the fact that in your example the first ending is only one measure long.

In a first ending of three measures it is more clear that the two horizontal lines do not belong to the same “repeat item”.
One line goes to the right from the beginning of the {Ending} (= the first of the three measures) that starts the first ending.
The other line goes to the left from the {Back Ending} (= the last of the three measures) that finishes the first ending.

See the attached Finale document where I have adjusted the length of the two horizontal lines.
Attachments
Welcome Winter TTBB with piano red - clarified.musx
(129.05 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by mark carlson » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:34 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:20 am
mark carlson wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:54 am
… when I tried exactly the same procedure on the bracket for the 1st measure ending, I ended up with TWO horizontal lines instead of just one. Very frustrating!

How can I get this to work properly? …
Actually this does work properly.
The two horizontal lines are both supposed to be there.
Just adjust both lines.

The confusion comes from the fact that in your example the first ending is only one measure long.

In a first ending of three measures it is more clear that the two horizontal lines do not belong to the same “repeat item”.
One line goes to the right from the beginning of the {Ending} (= the first of the three measures) that starts the first ending.
The other line goes to the left from the {Back Ending} (= the last of the three measures) that finishes the first ending.

See the attached Finale document where I have adjusted the length of the two horizontal lines.
Got it! Thank you very much.