Part Scores

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

rogue335
Finale Version: 27.3.0.137
Operating System: Windows

Post by rogue335 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:12 pm

Hello, I have a multi-movement document set up and would like to have multiple scores as linked parts.

I have done the following

-Create part that includes the staves from the full score that I want in the part score

-Create group that shows in that part score

-assign expressions to "top staff" for tempo changes, rehearsal marks, etc.

-set staff attribute dialog to "show staff name in parts"

Here is where I run into difficulty, attempting to show the part names in the part score and not the actual parts. Each part has the name in the upper left hand corner of the page which is the agreed upon industry standard (why finale does not do this by default is above me). I can create a staff style and apply it to the given part to "not show staff name in parts" but this then removes the staff name from the part score. One solution is to select all staff names on the left hand side of each system in each part and hide them, but this is tedious.

Any thoughts on this specific problem? and anything else that I should know regarding a document that has multiple part scores and multiple parts?

Thanks!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:55 pm

rogue335 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:12 pm
… I can create a staff style and apply it to the given part to "not show staff name in parts" but this then removes the staff name from the part score …
Different parts can have different staff styles, even if the different parts include the same staff.

This works for me:
Go to the linked part where you want to apply the staff style for hiding the staff name.
Staff Tool.
Select the measures in the part.
Staff menu > Apply Staff Style To > Current Part/Score…
The staff name will be hidden in that part only - not in the “score” part.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

rogue335
Finale Version: 27.3.0.137
Operating System: Windows

Post by rogue335 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:08 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:55 pm
rogue335 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:12 pm
… I can create a staff style and apply it to the given part to "not show staff name in parts" but this then removes the staff name from the part score …
Different parts can have different staff styles, even if the different parts include the same staff.

This works for me:
Go to the linked part where you want to apply the staff style for hiding the staff name.
Staff Tool.
Select the measures in the part.
Staff menu > Apply Staff Style To > Current Part/Score…
The staff name will be hidden in that part only - not in the “score” part.
Thanks so much! The main difficulty I find with finale is there are many ways to accomplish a given task. This is nice for some things but frustrating for others.