HP, rolls, and articulation not playing back correctly

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tramsey
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by tramsey » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:10 am

In version 26 (Windows 10), these things aren't playing nicely together! I have changed a percussion staff to Snare Drum (using Utilities-Change Instrument). Here are a few bars of it. I've selected the proper sound to be played back and indicated the roll to the player using the expected articulation.
Screenshot 2022-06-07 205941.png

Here is the instrument assignment in Score Manager, which shows that the instrument setting should work.
Screenshot 2022-06-07 210122.png

The problem seems to be with how this articulation interacts with [Standard] Human Playback. I noticed (after a frustrating amount of time wasted) that if I delete the articulation, it plays back correctly. This is no good, because then it looks like all the other notes.

These are the settings in use for Human Playback, which I believe are the default settings.
Screenshot 2022-06-07 210502.png

I have tried setting Snare Drum Rolls to inactive, but this has no effect.

How can I have both the articulation and the playback, and why isn't it working in this score? It's worked on others in the past.

tramsey

Post by tramsey » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:15 am

One additional piece of information:

This is the percussion map in use:
Screenshot 2022-06-07 211352.png
When I watch the instrument being played in VST Viewer, Finale is trying to play the rolls at midi note 72, not 61 as it should!

tramsey

Post by tramsey » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:07 am

I received a reply from MakeMusic on this issue, which I will post for others whose snare drums also refuse to roll! The bottom line: be wary of the Change Instrument utility, which MakeMusic admits is buggy. Here's the response. The workaround is to use the main staff for notation only, and set up a new, dedicated staff for SD that plays back correctly.

Hi XYZ,

Thanks for contacting MakeMusic Customer Support.

I believe you're spot on with your analysis of this problem. I've seen this occur a few times before. After using the Change Instrument utility to switch between non-pitched percussion instruments, Human Playback has trouble with roll articulations. As you noted, HP is playing MIDI note 72 when it should either be using 61 (snare roll) or emulate the roll using 60 (snare hit). I have reported this issue to our developers for investigation, so it is on the radar.

In the meantime, I'm afraid the best option is to add a separate staff for the snare drum. Use this staff to get the correct snare drum playback, and hide it if you don't want it to display for printing. You can still keep the existing staff with the instrument changes for printing but perhaps mute the snare drum section.

Please let me know if you have further questions about this.

Best,

ZYX