understanding spacing?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

blj
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by blj » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:38 pm

Hi Forum,
I work with hi complex chords - lots of accidentals and clusters, making spacing issues,
When I, in speedy or in special tools move the input to the place i want it (not always but sometimes) moves back to the from finale decided position.
I have in the documents options, under pref./ Music spacing, marked the > Manual Positioning> incorporate.
What do I miss???

yours
B

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:03 pm

blj wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:38 pm
… When I, in speedy or in special tools move the input to the place i want it (not always but sometimes) moves back to the from finale decided position … What do I miss??? …
Probably the program option Automatic Music Spacing is selected (in Preferences - Edit).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

blj
Finale Version: 27

Post by blj » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:47 am

Super, that works, thanks Peter

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:59 pm

That's something I've never understood in 25 years or so. By default, Automatic Music Spacing is on, and it is surely a core function of Finale to ... space music automatically.

The manual says:

If you decide to turn off Automatic Music Spacing, the spacing is linear; in other words, a whole note gets exactly the same horizontal space as four quarter notes. Furthermore, this newly-entered music may contain collisions between lyric syllables, overlapping chord symbols, and crowded 32nd notes.

So why would you want that? The manual also says:

Choose Clear from the drop-down list to remove all manual adjustments while spacing the music.
Choose Ignore from the drop-down list to have Finale space the music as if it weren’t manually positioned; after spacing, Finale adds the positioning to its result.
Finally, choose Incorporate to include any manual adjustments into Finale’s calculations while spacing the music.

That is pretty clear that manual adjustments should remain in place for all but the first option -- while Finale is (automatically) spacing the music.

Nowhere does it mention that you have to turn off AMS for any manual adjustments to hold. And if that's true, then it means you can't get Finale to automatically space music, once you've made a single manual adjustment!

I have no idea whether this system is working as designed, or riddled with bugs, but it surely can't be optimal.

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:07 pm

I've never been able to get to the bottom of this either. Sometimes the manual adjustments hold and sometimes not. As a result, I use AMS the first time only, turn it off for manual adjustments and never use AMS again for that file. I use Note Spacing and JW Note Spacing on selected areas of the file where I want new automatic spacing. From what I understand, this is what many users do.

But never turn off Automatic Update Layout. That way leads to madness.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:35 pm

I seem to remember there was some outrage when MM moved the AMS preference from being a document setting to an application one. (Or was that something else?)

If you need to change the AMS status depending on the phase of the document's creation, then it makes no sense to be an application pref. At best, you should be able to assign a key command to it.

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by Anders Hedelin » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:37 pm

BuonTempi wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:35 pm
I seem to remember there was some outrage when MM moved the AMS preference from being a document setting to an application one. (Or was that something else?)

If you need to change the AMS status depending on the phase of the document's creation, then it makes no sense to be an application pref. At best, you should be able to assign a key command to it.
In the good old days when we all (?) believed that posting our ideas of a better Finale on the Requests forum would make a difference, I recall asking for AMS to be document- and not program-related. Needless to say, nothing ever happened with that.

To paraphrase what John said: Turning ALU off, and forgetting to turn AMS off, both lead to sadness. After repeated mistakes without getting it, to madness.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:54 am

I do what John does and agree AMS should be a document setting.

Then there's the I'll-conceived Multimeasure Rests/Update automatically. There would be no need for this option at all if changing the score affected the mm rest in the part in question only, instead of every damn part. As it is, I have to turn that option off and then try to remember to fix the mm rest manually when needed, which is of course risky.