Possible to move all notes back one beat?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:58 am

I changed the time signature of a measure from 3/4 to 2/4, which pushed all the subsequent notation in the score back one beat. I did not notice the notation being pushed back, until after a lot of editing elsewhere.

Now I can click repeatedly on Undo, until back at the point where I changed the time signature, and split the 3/4 measure to 2/4 + 1/4 then delete the 1/4; but then I will lose a lot of work. Is there a way move all the notation back one beat?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:10 am

It would be nice to know the steps you’ve already taken (to solve the problem), so that we can rule out things.

What I would try (but you may have tried it already):

1) Selection Tool.
Select the region to be moved back one beat.

2) Drag the selected back one beat.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:12 am

Select the affected measures, and drag them to where they should be. A marquee will appear around the measures, as a guide to when you release it. You will have to manually delete the now duplicated note at the beginning or end, depending on which way you went.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:25 pm

In haste, I clicked on Undo, until at the point where I changed the time signature. I then split the measure into 2/4 and 1/4 and deleted the 1/4. In that manner, the subsequent notation was not moved back one beat. But I lost a lot of work time. Your superior option works nicely; I will use it in the future.

Thank you all.