Change font size for chord symbols

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Alan Knapper
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Alan Knapper » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:16 pm

Is it possible to change the font size on chord symbols, to maintain playback and so they will transpose when the key signature changes?

I don't need guitar tabs, I just need common chord symbols (I'm writing lead sheets for a small jazz group), but the font size is always too small, in my opinion. I just transitioned over from PrintMusic, in the hope that the full-blown Finale would enable this, but so far, I'm not finding where it might be possible.

In PM, to get larger chord symbols, I had to delete the system chords and replace them with simple text, which allowed me to scale up the size wherever I wanted it, but that was a lot of steps, and transposing for different instruments meant I had to go through the process all over again, plus I lost the playback.

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by Bill Stevens » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:17 pm

I don't use chord symbols very much, but have you tried JW Change? I just tried it and it works.

::: Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:35 pm

The size of the Root and its Alteration can be changed in Document -> Document Options -> Fonts -> Chords -> "Symbol" (= root) and "Alteration".
You can also resize the chord suffixes globally in Document Options -> Chords -> Document Chord Size. But use reasonable percentages, otherwise the spacing will not look great.
Both are Document specific.
And as Bill Stevens suggested, the plug-in JW Change can do it locally, too, on a selected region.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua