Hiding staff abbreviated names

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:31 am

I just started editing the attached score. I want the full staff names to show at the beginning but not to have any staff name abbreviations to show throughout. So, as I always do, I eliminated the staff abbreviations for all 5 instruments in the Score Manager. They are absent from the first two pages, but for the remainder of the piece, they are showing up.

I cannot figure out why this is happening. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Mark

OS 12.4
Finale 26
Attachments
Walking Music exc 7-11-22.musx
(248.9 KiB) Downloaded 38 times

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:45 am

That's bizarre, but to fix it you can right-click on each staff name in the last system and pick Edit Abbreviated Staff Name.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:51 am

Actually, if you right click on the arrow next to the instrument name (second column) in the score manager, e.g. >Flute, you'll see there's an additional Flute on a different channel, starting in measure 26. Ditto the other instruments. I couldn't say how that happened (Change Instrument, maybe?) or how to get rid of it. Try selecting the entire piece for Flute and Change Instrument to Flute, perhaps.

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:30 am

motet wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:51 am
Actually, if you right click on the arrow next to the instrument name (second column) in the score manager, e.g. >Flute, you'll see there's an additional Flute on a different channel, starting in measure 26. Ditto the other instruments. I couldn't say how that happened (Change Instrument, maybe?) or how to get rid of it. Try selecting the entire piece for Flute and Change Instrument to Flute, perhaps.
Aha! Thank you! Yes, that was true for each of the instruments. I tried deleting the second of each, but I couldn't, so I just deleted the abbreviate name for each.

This piece was imported via MusicXML from Sibelius, so that might account for that weirdness. Otherwise, the transfer was not too bad.

Mark