2012 edit function not working!

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

DLS
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by DLS » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:57 pm

I recently purchased Finale 27.
When I tried to open my 2012 files in 27 - that is, everything I had previously composed - the edit function would not work AT ALL, in any way, not just on the document I had just opened, but subsequently every document I opened, including new documents I did in 27.

So I wrote to Finale tech 'support' and days later received directions to delete certain folders, uninstall and reinstall 27. Which I did. (I still have 2012 on my two old laptops.)

So that solved it - for the moment. The next time I tried to open a 2012 document in 27, same thing. Edit function rendered dysfunctional for ALL documents. Had to go through the same process again. Cannot do this every time.

So decided to just get all my 2012 documents edited on my old laptop, praying the laptops would survive long enough for me to do that - this would take a year at least. But I was making good progress on a choral orchestral piece that I have to submit in August (!!!!) and on which I still have weeks of work to do, when poof! the edit function was gone. Gone. Now this is in Finale 2012. And not just that document, but ALL files.

Worried that I had a virus on my old laptop, I went to my second old laptop and opened a file there.
SAME ISSUE. No edit function on a 2012 document.

WHAT DO I DO?

It took a week for me to get a reply to my last email to tech support and the problem was not solved. I sent off a file to a friend who has Dorico. He had suggested converting my mus file to xml and seeing if Dorico could open it. He was able to create a good PDF. So.

But. I have FOUR DEADLINES before August 15, and I do not have time to learn Dorico and am praying that it even works for me to migrate these pieces.

I just purchased 27 last year along with a new laptop where it is installed. I had major problems with the audio at first, and finally my laptop crashed. I was able to get it repaired and Windows 11 installed on the hard drive and now it seems to be OK. But I cannot open a single one of my 2012 documents on it because of this problem - that is, everything I have composed up till last year. Most of my work. Operas, orchestral, works art songs, choral music. I was just about to work on formatting and get these works up on my website or in publishable form and this happens.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:04 pm

When you say the edit function won't work, can you be more specific? What specifically do you try to do, and what is the result--error messages, etc.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:14 pm

I'd suggest resetting Finale's preferences. See here:
https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... inale-etc-
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3