Phantom Expression Categories

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

strablonsky
Finale Version: 26.3.1.643
Operating System: Mac

Post by strablonsky » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:33 pm

Hello all!
I have a huge project with many expression categories. What are these "phantom" categories in my expression selection dialog box? I can't delete them in Edit Categories but they persist, and if I click on Edit Categories whilst one of them is selected the whole software crashes.

I created the project in v26 and it’s still being opened in v26, in the same computer (MacOS Monterey on a 2021 M1 Max Macbook)
Attachments
FB2AE0A4-6A2F-4610-984D-170284B42510.jpeg

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:52 pm

You created the file in Finale 26. Have you copied music in from any other Finale files? If so, that's where they came from. Are there any items within these categories, or is the selection window blank? Try deleting them one by one if they exist. You can probably just let them alone and they won't cause any harm.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

wessmusic
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by wessmusic » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:54 pm

I had the same problem with the same Mac version 26. So, I sent the file to MM, but no convincing answer or help followed from there. Since I keep a back up copy of the file for each subsequent page completed, I found that the problem occurred when entering some grace notes and glissando lines — something quite innocent at first glance. I lost about an hour of work, but saved myself thanks to the back up, because version 26 under Mojave does not support autosave. At least that's how it works for me on two different Intel Macs.

I would advise the following:
create a new file even with just one bar (the same amount of staves) and insert the content from the old file.
If the phantom categories reappear, try inserting fewer bars until you find where the problem is.

You'll just have to recreate all the staff names etc, but at least give it a try.
These phantom categories may not cause problems further down the line, but I personally would immediately stop there and continue my project in a new file.

In a similar connection, weeks ago I had a phenomenon that another colleague from the forum told about: at a certain scaling percentage of the page, it loses content. Then, in the same way "on shutdown" with deletion of measure by measure, I found where the problem is. I re-entered the bar again and everything was fine.

I realize how unpleasant it is. In such moments sympathy does not help, but finding the problem place and correcting it.
It sounds rather vague as a judge, but MM is unlikely to tell you anything to solve your problem, because I have already gone down that road.

However, if there are colleagues who have found a solution, I hope they will share it.
CUSTOM FONTS for FINALE and SIBELIUS
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f0udkrvb8xvh2zj/AAD_8mVlRzzr5mjZKI7BR7Kza?dl=0
________
Finale user since 1994

Erik Van Geit

Post by Erik Van Geit » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:34 pm

strablonsky wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:33 pm
if I click on Edit Categories whilst one of them is selected the whole software crashes.
Hi strablonsky

I'm also on a huge project and had the same issue after importing some fragments, even when I pasted "only notes". So glad to hear I'm not the only one.

This works for me to avoid the Finale crash.
1. save (just to be sure)
2. select a category that "belongs to the file" so not any of your phantoms
3. click "edit categories"
4. select the categories you want to delete
5. click "delete category"

In my case the expressions went to another category with the same name as the "phantom category".
So when I deleted the phantom category "Tempo marks", the expression (300) went to the "official" category "Tempo marks". (with a font change) That can be deleted without crash.

kind regards
Erik
delete phantom category.png
Using Finale 26.3