Ritardando playback

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Magnar Heimdal
Finale Version: Finale26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Magnar Heimdal » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:10 am

My Finale27 doesn't play ritardandos. I use "Tempo alterations", choose "rit." or "ritardando" (I have tried both), but this results in no tempo change in playback. Any advice?

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:39 pm

rit.jpg
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

Magnar Heimdal
Finale Version: Finale26

Post by Magnar Heimdal » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:17 pm

Thanks!
What works best on my Finale, though (Finale27), is to set Human Playback to "Romantic". Then it performs ritardandos. If Human Playback is set to "Standard" it does not play ritardandos. Obviously a bug here. If i then tick "Match playback to metronome marking text" in the Expression Designer it performs the ritardando correctly. But I think this should be the case regardless of what style Human Playback is set to, though.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:20 pm

I do think HP has a bug, too. You can try deleting all midi data with the clear selected items tool. Also, simply changing the HP selection seems to fix it. Then you can go back to your wanted HP selection. Turning HP off and playing midi works, too. Then go back and turn your selected HP back on.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11

webs
Finale Version: Finale V26

Post by webs » Tue May 23, 2023 5:10 am

I would like to thank Magnar Heimdal for posting a solution to a ritardando problem in Finale v26.

"If Human Playback is set to "Standard" it does not play ritardandos. Obviously a bug here ... set Human Playback to "Romantic".

I spent hours trying to determine why I could not get it to work, and I have been using the software for over 30 years.

If only Finale would maintain a list of known bugs by topic, it would save users enormous amounts of time.

Thanks Again, Magnar

webs

dtoub
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by dtoub » Tue May 23, 2023 2:03 pm

The bugs are insane-no wonder the Dorico cult laughs at us.

Just yesterday I reopened a file from a few years ago that I'd previously exported to audio with no issues, only to find that one measure was playing the notes unevenly (using custom HP settings that should not have done this); clearing MIDI data for that measure solved the issue. No idea how this got introduced.

Even worse, a metronome marking that previously worked fine and was not set up any differently from any of the others in the same piece would not play back. Once I recreated it from scratch, all was fine, but I have no idea why it was not playing back correctly.

So yes, there are lots of bugs still. And few compelling new features. At least if the bugs were fixed, things like the graphic designer tool and the MIDI tool were brought into the 21st century, etc, it would be a better program.
http://dbtmusic.wordpress.com

https://dtoub.bandcamp.com/

Finale 27.x/macOS Sonoma/GPO 5/NotePerformer/Perfect Layout/Reason 12

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25

Post by oldmkvi » Tue May 23, 2023 2:44 pm

I use F 25/Mac/Standard HP, and it absolutely does Ritards.
Sometimes I use extra Ritard Expressions to customise the rate of Rit over several meas.
But it definitely works for me.

dtoub
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by dtoub » Tue May 23, 2023 2:51 pm

The OP is using F27…
http://dbtmusic.wordpress.com

https://dtoub.bandcamp.com/

Finale 27.x/macOS Sonoma/GPO 5/NotePerformer/Perfect Layout/Reason 12

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue May 23, 2023 3:58 pm

The OP is using F27…
Doesn't matter the rit works in F27 and it worked in 26. Some of the "bugs", not all for sure, that folks complain about are user error

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue May 23, 2023 4:55 pm

I can confirm that rit. works with Standard. Sometimes an adjacent marking can foil HP, for example a tempo mark right after a fermata, so it's hard to say what's going on without seeing it in context.