No dynamics in percussion

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Magnar Heimdal
Finale Version: Finale26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Magnar Heimdal » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:20 pm

The instruments "Percussion" and "Drum Set" does not react to dynamics. They perform pp and ff equally. All the other instruments in my orchestra score performs dynamics. Any idea what might be the problem? (I have Finale27).

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:49 pm

Try NotePerformer 3. (edited)
Last edited by ebiggs1 on Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

dtoub
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by dtoub » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:52 pm

Not sure any perfume is the solution.

But it's ludicrous that someone should have to pay for a plug in or sound library to possibly fix a problem within Finale. That's a non-solution in my opinion. I could just as easily say "get a Mac since your PC isn't working."

I've never noticed any of my few percussion scores having this issue, so I'm wondering if it is a problem with a specific file. Could you possibly post it here and I and others can take a look? Thanks.
http://dbtmusic.wordpress.com

https://dtoub.bandcamp.com/

Finale 27.x/macOS Sonoma/GPO 5/NotePerformer/Perfect Layout/Reason 12

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27

Post by heinzfan » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:31 pm

I rarely use Garritan, but I've noticed with my VST plug-ins that HP (sometimes even keyswitches) doesn't always work with older files that were created in earlier versions of Finale. If that's your situation I'd suggest testing by opening a new v. 27 blank file and adding the instrument(s) that are giving you trouble. If the dynamics work in the new file that might be the answer.
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:06 pm

But it's ludicrous that someone should have to pay for a plug in or sound library to possibly fix a problem within Finale.
Wow, you're the first person I have ever run into that doesn't use any plug-ins with Finale. Since they all either fix or make things easier in Finale. Just because Garritan comes with Finale does mean it is part of Finale but I bet you still use it.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:46 pm

ebiggs1 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:06 pm
Since they all either fix or make things easier in Finale.
A plugin to make things easier is different than one to fix a problem. The first is a boon to the user, but the second should be addressed and fixed by the programmers.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Magnar Heimdal
Finale Version: Finale26

Post by Magnar Heimdal » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:55 pm

I tried out with Drum Set, and found that the problem just related to triangle and not the other instruments. On triangle in Drum Set, dynamics have no effect. But if I create triangle (from Percussion) as an individual system in the score, it follows dynamics. Thanks for your answers!