D.C. to Anacrusis

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

sm5574
Operating System: Windows

Post by sm5574 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:57 pm

I have a piece that has a pickup measure. I also have a Da Capo al Fine at the end of the piece. They are not playing well together.

(Note, this is only an issue with playback. The printed music is correct.)

The problem seems to be that the program can't decide if the pickup measure is numbered 1 or 0. The D.C. defaults to measure 0, but it doesn't jump if I keep it there. It does jump if I change it to measure 1, but it jumps to the first full measure, not the anacrusis. But when I use the Measure Tool on the pickup measure, it says it's #1.

I have tried including the pickup measure in the measure numbering (and then going into the measure numbering dialog to have it start numbering after that), which makes the printed numbering work correctly, but it does not help the D.C. problem..

Am I missing something? Is this a know bug?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:14 pm

If you used the “pickup measure” feature, that’s most likely the issue. If you have the pickup measure as part of the repeat, y0u need to manually set the time signature, set to display as the ”real” time signature. Then go to measure attributes and make sure it’s not included in measure numbers. I don’t remember the actual name of the checkbox, but you’ll see it.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

sm5574

Post by sm5574 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:42 pm

I've tried it both ways, with a pickup measure, and by manually adjusting the time signature. What I described in the OP was when doing it manually. If I use the Pickup Measure feature and set the D.C. to measure 1, it does go back to the pickup measure, but it treats the count as if that were a full measure, inserting a rest at the beginning.

But something is really wonky with this file. I don't know of anything I did that I haven't done before, except having repeats play only on the D.C., but it's giving me so much trouble. It's is a solo guitar piece, with a notation clef and a tab clef, and the playback is phase-y, as if both clefs are playing notes, causing a doubling of the instrument. The problem goes away if I delete the notes from the tablature.

And my measure numbering is off. I have a couple of measure that shouldn't be included in the count, but they are, no matter what I do. And the font for the measure numbering just suddenly turned huge, even though I didn't change anything. I had to manually change it back. Saving and reloading the file has not helped.

Finale seems awfully buggy, if I could so royally screw it up by trying to implement something as simple as a D.C.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:31 am

If you post the doc, I’m sure we can figure it out.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

sm5574

Post by sm5574 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:46 am

Thanks for the offer and for trying to help, but I gave up and pasted the music into a new document. It still has the phase-y sound, but other than that it's working as it should. As far as I know, I didn't do anything differently.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:49 am

It's is a solo guitar piece, with a notation clef and a tab clef, and the playback is phase-y, as if both clefs are playing notes, causing a doubling of the instrument. The problem goes away if I delete the notes from the tablature.
In the Score Manager, mute the Tab staff. Does that work?
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3