Is there an easier way to control the duration of a fermata?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:36 pm

In the attached document, I added a hidden "a tempo" mark to stop slowed playback of the arpeggiated chord that follows. In order to truncate the fermata and place the 'a tempo' at the end of the measure, I had to add hidden rests; so that the 'a tempo' mark could be placed just before the arpeggiated chord.

I tried placing the 'a tempo' mark 1/64th beat before the chord, but then the 'a tempo' was not honored in playback. Shortening the duration of the fermata in HP Preferences did not work for me: the duration was either too long or too short, and I tried a variety of durations. Is there a simpler way to stop the fermata from slowing down playback of the arpeggiated chord?
Attachments
Fermata.musx
(103.27 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

blueshift
Finale Version: 27.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by blueshift » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:55 pm

I do this by creating an expression with a tempo, along with a special expression for the tempo after the effect is complete. (I rarely put these in a score, but if required for proofing, I hide these.) I usually place these in a staff visible in studio view only It and it works very well for me - a little messy, yes, but the playback is perfect. That staff does not print or show in score view, and I keep these tweaks in a custom expression category.
Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 8.50.55 AM.jpg
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 8.55.32AM.jpg
Finale 27.4.1 (since 2.6.3)
MacOS 14 Sonoma
MacMini i7x6 64gb RAM
GPO5 / GCPO / EW Symphonic Choirs / KONTAKT / stray sfz
Cubase / Studio One

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:19 am

Blueshift, adding hidden tempo marks as expressions seems to be the best way to control the duration of a format. But Finale permits expressions only on a note or rest. So I had to add hidden rests in another layer to set the duration I needed.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:40 am

Djard wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:19 am
… Finale permits expressions only on a note or rest. So I had to add hidden rests in another layer to set the duration I needed.
Am I missing something?

My own copy of Finale permits expressions on a beat.
It has been like that for years.

In my experience the Positioning depends on whether the expression uses the expression category’s default Positioning.
You can edit an expression, and let the expression override the category’s default Positioning.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996