Aria player/engine installation

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

AnneMillington
Finale Version: 27.3.0
Operating System: Windows

Post by AnneMillington » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:47 pm

Can two versions of Aria Engine/Player run in the same environment?

I currently need to have two Finale versions on a computer, and am getting the Aria upgrade message when I try to play something created in Finale v27 in the Finale 2014.5 interface. The Aria download site states that the version I need, 1.952, is backward compatible, but reading others' woes on this site, I am not sure whether to trust that.

I think I have read that some have two versions in the same system, so I wonder if you have to install into a uniquely named folder to avoid conflict. The 1.952 exe wants to install into the same folder as the older version, and I am not 100% sure that is wise.

Any advice welcomed.

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by John Ruggero » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:30 pm

I have the reverse issue. The new version of Aria Player installed separately in Applications not in the folder called Garritan Aria Player and I have not gotten any sound out of Garritan for Finale yet. I tried placing the new version of Aria Player into the Garritan Aria Player folder but still no sound out of Garritan.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

AnneMillington

Post by AnneMillington » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:37 pm

John Ruggero wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:30 pm
...still no sound out of Garritan.
How frustrating.

In the absence of any other counsel, I have installed the trial version of NotePerformer 3 on my personal workstation and I am really happy. Sounds great, and the documentation is above average. Well worth a bit of my spare money.

Since 2014.5 Finale works fine with Aria Player on my shared machine, I hope it will continue to do so when I map Finale 27 to NP3 there. Fingers crossed.

AnneMillington

Post by AnneMillington » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:50 pm

Mods, I just noticed there is a whole forum section for playback discussion. Please feel free to move my post if you wish.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:19 am

I don't think you can have two separate installations of ARIA -- and if you could, it would probably cause more problems, not fewer.

ARIA interacts with Finale as VST or Audio Unit "plug-in", and either it conforms to the rules of how those plug-ins work, or it doesn't. There should be no compatibility issue. The only issue is if the player and the engine versions mis-match. But most ARIA installers now have both together.

The only problems with ARIA/Garritan are largely "are things in the right place?"

Firstly, there are the soundmap and MIDI config files in the Finale app data folders; and then there's the question of whether ARIA knows where its samples are.

This article shows you how to move your samples folder, but it's the same process for ensuring that the existing folder is correctly read.

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... stallation

AnneMillington

Post by AnneMillington » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:14 pm

Thank you, BuonTempi for your observationss. I will assume that Garritan's claim of backward compatibility is true, and go from there. And thanks for pointing out the support pages; this will help me deal with whatever might ensue.