Where to store plug-ins?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:17 pm

On my system, plug-ins for Finale can be found in a number of locations (see below); but in Preferences, only one folder path is specified. Do others move all their plug-ins into this one location? I read somewhere that VST2 (.dll) plug-ins should not be mixed with the VST3 (.vst3) type.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3
C:\Program Files\MakeMusic\Finale\26\Plug-ins
C:\ProgramData\MakeMusic\Finale 26\VST Support
C:\ProgramData\MakeMusic\Finale 2012\VST Support
C:\VST2 Plugins
C:\VST3 Plugins
C:\Program Files\Garritan\ARIA Player\VST\Garritan\
C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale26\VST Support

I understand that Garritan is native to Finale, so I would not move any plug-ins for ARIA Player.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:20 pm

As far as I know, things like JW, Patterson, and TG belong in Finale’s specified folder. That way, they appear in the Plugins menu.

VSTs may may be different, though, and might need to go in their own folder. I don’t use them, so I can’t say.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:17 pm

Yes, the path...

C:\Program Files\MakeMusic\Finale\26\Plug-ins\

is where .FXT plug-ins are stored and accessed from the toolbar in Finale.

All other locations are where VST2 and VST3 plug-ins are stored and accessed by pointing the program, such as Finale, Audacity or DAW, to the location.

According to the experts, the VST2 (files with the .dll extension) type should not be mixed with the VST3 (.vst3 extension). I wanted to organize all the plug-ins used with Finale, keeping them in either...

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

but opted to forgo organizing all those installed in various locations on my PC: the task is too laborious for me. Besides, Garritan plug-ins that are native to Finale are stored in proprietary directories.

I can live with duplications and what I consider the chaos of non-standardization. Every developer seems to have his or her own idea of where to install a plug-in.