Mass Pasting and Note Entry Errors

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

dc1997
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by dc1997 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:06 pm

Hello,

I am working on a transcribing a long piece, with several instruments and 8 voices (the file has locked measures, hidden staves, personalised staff styles for transpositions, text lyrics, figured bass, and so on). I began working on each movement on separate files at first, but I decided to work on a single file, with page breaks and measure number regions, because it thought would be easier to export the instrumental parts.

Now I'm at around 4500 measures but I found I a glitch that I can't work around: when pasting one of the last movements, only some lines are pasting correctly (for exemple Violins, Violas, Horns, and the first soprano) however all on all the other vocal lines and continuo, only some of the first measures appear correctly and all the rest appears like empty measures, only pasting dynamics and expressive text.

ScoreMerger doesn't work either, resulting on the same glitch on the same measures. I've also tried cutting/pasting from different versions of the file, but that also doesn't solve the problem.

Since these are the last movements of the piece, I've considered transcribing the section again, I've pasted the String parts (that were fine) but now I can't entry notes, neither with numerical keyboard, nor with mouse, the entry "line" moves forward, and I can hear the notes, but the measures stay blank.

I'm not sure if this is some bug because of clashing definitions, or if it's my PC's problem processing, since the file is very long and has too much information.

Has this happened to someone, and is there a way to work around it?

Thank you so much!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:46 pm

You may be running up against the "frame" limit. A frame is a measure with music in it. Go to Document/Data Check/File Maintenance, check Remove Deleted Items, and press OK. In the resulting window, look at the Original Items column, Frames. The frame limit, I believe, is 32,767. If you're close to that, that may be what's going on. If so, I don't think there's any recourse but to break up the file.

dc1997
Finale Version: 27

Post by dc1997 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:23 am

Good morning, I've checked and indeed my frames are at exactly 32.767...

Thank you, so, so much for your help, I guess I'll have to break the score in two and than later Merge the individual instrumental parts!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:04 pm

I'm not sure why they didn't fix the 32,767 limit (which is the largest number which fits into a signed two-byte integer) when they converted Finale to a 64-bit application. They could have even just made it an unsigned 16-bit number. which would have doubled the limit without having to change how it's stored. But I think MakeMusic takes a triage approach to fixing problems.

I do operas with one file per act, and combine the parts for printing in CutePDF which allows you to combine things by successively printing Act I, Act II, and Act III, for example. You do end up having each chunk on a new page. It's also easier to number the pages with a PDF program, since each instrument starts Act II on a different page number, which Finale can't handle.