How do you globally change positions of staff names?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:27 pm

I want to change the position of all staff names and not have to do it staff by staff. I'm following the directions in the attached precisely, but nothing at all moves when I make the changes I want. What am I doing wrong?

Attached also is p. 1 of the score I am working on.

Thanks,

Mark Carlson

Finale 27
OS 12.5.1
Attachments
Global setting staff names.jpg
1. First Love p1.musx
(44.32 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:31 pm

Take a look at point #6 on the manual page you attached. To clear any manual positioning, click on the staff name handle and press clear/backspace; shift/click to select multiple handles at once.

I just shift/click multiple handles and use the arrow keys to nudge them - do the page 1s first then the page 2s which do all further pages.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by mark carlson » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:41 pm

N Grossingink wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:31 pm
Take a look at point #6 on the manual page you attached. To clear any manual positioning, click on the staff name handle and press clear/backspace; shift/click to select multiple handles at once.

I just shift/click multiple handles and use the arrow keys to nudge them - do the page 1s first then the page 2s which do all further pages.
Aha! Thanks so much. That was so easy! The piece is so old that I had no idea those names had been manually positioned ever.

Mark