Fingerings questions

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Progman
Finale Version: 14
Operating System: Windows

Post by Progman » Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:25 pm

I'm in the process of rewriting fingerings from expression tool to articulation tool for my piano piece because articulation tool can stack fingering auto in vertical positioning and exp. fingering moves from time to time... Couple of questions:
1. How to correctly align left hand fingering? Currently it looks like this:
fingering left wrong order.png
fingering left wrong order.png (51.31 KiB) Viewed 666 times
2. How to change the vertical distance between stacked chord fingerings?
3. How to change the vertical distance between the stem/note and the fingering?
4. How to avoid this wrong auto fingering positioning between the notes and between the fingers (4 1, left hand)?
Wrong left hand fingering positioning.png
Wrong left hand fingering positioning.png (75.57 KiB) Viewed 660 times

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by John Ruggero » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:20 am

Not really answering your question but I am wondering why you are putting in all those finger numbers. Almost all of them would be obvious to any pianist, especially since there is no other fingering possible for most of it. The art of putting in fingering in piano music is knowing what to exclude. I do a lot of fingering in editing piano music and only would rarely have to write in more the two stacked numbers and generally one will suffice, particularly with chordal textures, which actually require less fingering than more linear ones.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

Progman

Post by Progman » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:00 pm

John Ruggero wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:20 am
Not really answering your question but I am wondering why you are putting in all those finger numbers. Almost all of them would be obvious to any pianist, especially since there is no other fingering possible for most of it. The art of putting in fingering in piano music is knowing what to exclude. I do a lot of fingering in editing piano music and only would rarely have to write in more the two stacked numbers and generally one will suffice, particularly with chordal textures, which actually require less fingering than more linear ones.
Usually i only write the 4 or 5 and some other times 4 or 5 + another finger if its a chord with less common fingering because i feel it helps me identify and memorize the notes faster but i thought to try writing all fingering because maybe it will help me to identify and memorize the piece even more. I am the pianist as well.

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by John Ruggero » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:17 pm

I see. The advice I have always given to students (since it works for me) is to work out a piece technically (I have a special approach that they use) keeping the eyes on the music at all times without any concern about memory. When the piece is solid technically and can be played without any feeling of risk or difficulty, then to try playing it from memory. Usually at this point one is surprised to find that the piece is memorized without any particular effort. If there are stumbling places, go back and play with music listening more carefully to the lower voices, particularly the bass part. This usually clears up the problem.

Not sure why the left hand fingering is going in upside down. I've never had that happen since I insert fingering manually one by one with metatools.

I hope someone will help you with your Finale issues. I have big issues with Finale 27 (or 26 if that is the version you are using) and articulation stacking and staying with 25.5 for now.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

Progman

Post by Progman » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:36 pm

Any chance someone can answer my questions?