Guitar notation

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

carvetop
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by carvetop » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:15 pm

How does one notate percussion slaps for guitar notation? How does that work on playback?

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:37 pm

A variety of options exist for what you describe. For example, the conventional percussive notehead of "x" is used for, say, tapping the bridge with the medial aspect of the thumb, while holding a chord. I add "Tambor" to distinguish the effect from an annular finger tap ("golpe" in flamenco).

Tambor_001.Finale101.jpg

For playback, I assign a percussion instrument to the expression "tamb." then follow with a hidden "suono ord" to resume the original sound of the guitar, after the percussive section.

I usually dedicate layer 4 to "Ethnic Percussion" in Score Manager, writing the golpes (percussive hits) on top of the staff (G5) as that is the best sound I have managed to find that resembles a tap on the soundboard of a guitar. As far as I can remember, the G5 position has been used by major publishers as the place where the percussive taps are written. If in a key like E, where the G is #, I write the golpe as a natural then hide the natural symbol. The latter preserves the sound I want.

In my opinion, Finale is not guitar friendly; but workarounds always seem available, albeit laborious.