Need help exporting drum groove

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:24 pm

Is it possible to export a drum track as a MIDI file without the sound changing to piano? I created a new document with 8 bars, selected the region -> Plug-ins -> Scoring and Arranging -> Drum Groove -> selected a Style -> chose "Existing Staff" -> from the drop-down menu chose "Drum Set" -> edited a measure then clicked File -> Export -> MIDI File -> save to:

C:\Program Files\MakeMusic\Finale\26\Plugin Components\Drum Groove\

mmike
Finale Version: 27.4

Post by mmike » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:40 pm

This seems to re-create exactly your exported drum track:
Export MIDI File > Format 1 - all instruments saved to separate tracks
File > Open > your exported MIDI file > Tracks become staves > create percussion staves channel 10 > percussion layout 3 (Drum set)
Finale 3.7 > 27.4.1, GPO5, ASUS laptop, 18.4'' display, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, WIN 10 Pro, Cubase

Djard

Post by Djard » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:15 pm

Thanks for offering to help. Unfortunately, the result I got was a staff system in D major with a bass clef, despite selecting a percussion clef. The notes were transposed erroneously, and the playback sound was a piano: it could not be changed to Drum Set. In Score Manager, the only Device available was SmartMusic with no Drum Set in the menu. I tried selecting a Percussion layout but without success. In step 5 below, Percussion Layout "3" is "Basic Orch Perc 1-line" that failed; so I tried Percussion Layout 7 that is "Drum Set"; but that option made no difference. Below are the steps I used. Perhaps you can point out where I am erring:

SAVE AS MIDI FILE:

1. File -> Export -> MIDI File -> browse to a temp folder (Windows will not permit saving directly to Finale's Drum Groove folder).
2. Name the file: e.g. "Rock_1.mid" -> Save -> Format 1 -> OK.
3. Use File Manager to cut and paste the .mid file in...

C:\Program Files\MakeMusic\Finale\26\Plugin Components\Drum Groove\

ADD AS DRUM GROOVE:

4. In the new document with drum track that has same time signature as the groove to be added, click on File -> Open.
5. Navigate to Drum Groove folder, into which you stored your groove -> choose "Rock_1" -> Select -> in the MIDI File Options dialog, set as follows.

~ Tracks become staves: Check
~ Include: Tempo changes, Continuous data, Convert markers.
~ Key Signature: Use the file's
~ Time Signature: Use the file's
~ Create Percussion Staves: Check

Channel: 10
Percussion Layout: 3 (Select -> select "Drum Set")

6. OK.

mmike
Finale Version: 27.4

Post by mmike » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:53 pm

Djard wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:15 pm
Below are the steps I used. Perhaps you can point out where I am erring
This is exactly what I was doing and I don't see any problems with your steps.
However ...
After you have copied the drum groove to the drum track in your document, check the following -

in the Score Manager -
Device - choose SmartMusic Softsynth
Instrument - choose Common (or some others as well, e.g. Jazz or Pop/Rock) > Drums > Drum Set
Sound > Percussion > various choices
Bank - make sure its in its own Bank
Channel - choose 10

in MIDI/Audio > VST Banks and Effects - make sure the volume fader for the Bank is up
Notation Style > Percussion / Settings > Drum Set
First Clef - percussion clef

As far as I can see, having tried this, you'll have the correct notation and drums sounds
Finale 3.7 > 27.4.1, GPO5, ASUS laptop, 18.4'' display, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, WIN 10 Pro, Cubase

Djard

Post by Djard » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:07 pm

Thanks for your patience. I finally got the playback to work. I had to switch playback back to VST, reselect a drum instrument and reset the volume in order to hear the track. Considering the extensive fiddling required to make a custom groove to work as a *.mid file, I find the procedure much easier and quicker to save as a .musx file from which measures can be copied into a new document.

One interesting thing I discovered along the way is the fuller sound I get for my project when using the native soundfonts in my soundcard. While playing back a *.mid file from Windows' File Manager, I can save the audio in.*wav format that can then be imported into my DAW for mastering.

Again, thanks for lending a hand.