How to have muted instrument in Playback?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Gamestar721
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Gamestar721 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:49 am

So, this might be an interesting question but here we go:

So, I'm looking to have Finale in playback play muted instruments, such as a muted trumpet or in my situation, muted piano.

This is NOT to be confused with muting instruments in the mixer. I'm looking to get the effect of a muted instrument in playback.

Thanks in advance!

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:08 am

I think you need a dedicated soundfont for a muted brass. Finale comes with a stock muted guitar that I recall being SoftSynth: with a little reverb, it sounds acceptable. You might want to sift through the native library of sounds and effects in Finale as some esoteric instruments have sounds that simulate common ones. Lots of free VST plug-ins are also available that are compatible with Finale (more-or-less). If you have time, free sampler kits are available that let you create your own soundfonts. And if you have a DAW, like the free but excellent Waveform by Tracktion, you can utilize the myriad of grooves (samples) offered for editing (pitch, tone, time, etc.). I do my final mix in Ableton or Audacity, after which the audio file can be imported into Finale. One of the savvy denizens at this forum recommended Note Performer that offers some great sounds, all compatible with Finale.