Advice on hiring pro engraver?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bj nick
Finale Version: v26, NP3
Operating System: Windows

Post by bj nick » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:43 pm

By the first of the year, I plan to have a web site up w/my pieces available, excerpts/sound clips, etc. I'm thinking of getting a pro engraver to prepare the pieces, since I don't have confidence yet that I could get the parts perfect. There are 6-7 pieces, or various lengths, all chamber ensembles, from woodwind quintets, a 6-piece, an 8-piece, a flute choir, and a sax octet piece.

I would appreciate advice on hiring someone, in terms of getting the fairest price, understanding that "you get what you pay for." I'm not interested in going so "on the cheap" that I risk paying for substandard work. (My hope is that as my mastery of Finale improves, I can hopefully do the work myself in the future....but I do have some "urgency" and need to get this done in the next couple months.

Note: I would submit the pieces to someone only after having taken every step as far as I am able....they'll be "close," but not the level where I'm 100% confident. Also: I will likely try Fiverr or the like to find a good website builder.....I don't know if that would be a good bet for an engraver, though many are listed there. I'm guessing an involved score might be too specialized/complex for that....don't know.

Thanks for any advice on this.
Finale v. 26, Windows 10, NP3, Garritan Instruments for Finale

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:18 pm

Make sure you have firstly copyrighted your work. I believe N.Grossingink at this forum might be able to help, regarding what to look for in style: he enjoys a good reputation.

To me style is almost as important as accuracy. Not all engravers are artistic. Nice graphics (eye candy) help attract customers.

At first, I would submit only one score on condition the engraver furnish me with a copy of his or her work in MUSX format, so I can audit the work.

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:43 pm

Thank you, that's good advice. My first inclination is to just ask a guy I've taken a few Finale lessons with....highly experienced with a wide range of genres.....including chamber music, so I'd imagine he'd be solid in terms of "styles." But I just want to educate myself in terms of parameters/prices/considerations before I proceed further. I hope N.Grossingink will respond, as I'd respect his opinions.

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:21 am

You should be able to find him as a member at the forum an PM him. He is a kind gentleman.

Patric
Finale Version: Finale 26 & 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by Patric » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:13 pm

I humbly recommend myself :-)
Have a look at makemydaymusic.com for some examples and testimonials. If you decide to contact me we can do it privately to let you know more about my work as an engraver and to discuss the practicality.
Best,
/Patric
Composer and President at Make My Day Music - www.makemydaymusic.com
Running Finale 26 on a MacBook Pro M1 and OS 13

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:20 pm

Private message sent.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:42 pm

N Grossingink- thank you for the message. Appreciated.
Patric- private message sent.