Error -56

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Lamondera
Finale Version: 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by Lamondera » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:25 am

Hello, I have been editing a quite large file (3+ Mb) and now when I'm trying to edit something (lyrics, in FiguredBass font) the program crashes, and when I try to restart Finale it gives "Error -56".
The file won't open, unless I restart the PC, and then I can open the file, but when I try to edit it, it crashes again.
Please help me as this is a huge job!
Thanks
Simone

johnmouse
Finale Version: 27

Post by johnmouse » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:19 am

Have you tried opening a backup file (bakx)? Rename it to something else (myfile ver2), save as musx then try working on that one.

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by Bill Stevens » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:47 pm

If you can open the file, then before trying to edit it do what Johnmouse suggested and save it using a different name. I don't know if this works for Windows, but on a Mac another trick is to export the file as XML and then import it into a new document.

::: Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:05 pm

The file won't open, unless I restart the PC, and then I can open the file, but when I try to edit it, it crashes again.
I assume you are on a Windows machine? Not a Mac where the OS can be the problem. I can tell you how I have mine set up which has been very stable and no errors. Again, Windows machine. I have two drives in my system. Finale itself lives on the C: drive which is pretty standard. I tell Finale to put everything that is saved on the D: drive. That is all the .musx files and the autosave, backups, and most importantly the temp folder. You must set these up in the Edit>Preferences tool. Make sure you define the paths accurately.

If your huge file has movements or reasonable places where it can be broken up into separate smaller files I would do that, also.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:02 pm

You might try this if the .bakx solution doesn't work:

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... inale-etc-