Organ score with pedal only in main chorus

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

GabryJ84
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by GabryJ84 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:16 pm

Good Evening,
I am trying to write a score for Organ, where the pedal (3rd optional line) is present only in the main chorus and not in the verses (Psalm-like score).
What I wanted to do is for the line to be present only in the chorus so that I can space the verses more evenly reducing the pages since there would be lots of space wasted for nothing.

I tried the same trick I use for the voices, when, for a certain number of measures, the 4 voices sing the same notes, so I selected the empty measures, selected the appropriate tool (the one with the Violin clef) and in the same drop-down menu "Hide empty measures" (or similar...I am an Italian native speaker so I use the localised version) expecting for the pedal to disappear and stay only where the measures are populated, but nothing happened, so I believe it is not the right way to achieve it.

Does someone have suggestions on how to do that? I'd hate to keep an empty pedal through the pages, wasting a lot of space.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:44 pm

The procedure you describe is the correct one (Staff tool, select the region -> Hide Empty Staves).
2 things to verify :
1) The staves must be really empty.
2) Staff menu : Groups and Brackets -> Edit : In the organ group attributes (3 staves), Hide Normally should be selected.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

GabryJ84
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by GabryJ84 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:14 pm

michelp wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:44 pm
2) Staff menu : Groups and Brackets -> Edit : In the organ group attributes (3 staves), Hide Normally should be selected.
This fixed the problem! Many thanks!!! :D