HOW DO I MAKE TRILLS PLAYBACK to Natural, Sharp or Flat?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Billy May
Finale Version: v27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Billy May » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:59 am

In the articulation selection, the only Tr that plays back a trill is the one with no accidental. So sometimes the trills are trilling to the wrong notes. Same result using the smart shape trills.

Thank you.

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by oldmkvi » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:01 pm

There are Accidentals to add to the Trill in Articulations.
They will adjust the Trill.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:29 pm

There are articulation and SmartShape versions of the trills with accidentals. I think Human Playback recognizes those. To get to the smart-shape variety you need to Ctrl-click on the custom line tool icon in the SmartShape palette.
Attachments
0253.png
0253.png (2.51 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
0252.png

Billy May

Post by Billy May » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:06 pm

oldmkvi wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:01 pm
There are Accidentals to add to the Trill in Articulations.
They will adjust the Trill.
Hi, thank you. I see no accidentals in the articulation selection: I only have trills with accidentals and they do not work (or human playback is not recognizing them). The only trill that works is the one with no accidents but it has a mind of its own and often trill to the wrong note.

Billy May

Post by Billy May » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:10 pm

motet wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:29 pm
There are articulation and SmartShape versions of the trills with accidentals. I think Human Playback recognizes those. To get to the smart-shape variety you need to Ctrl-click on the custom line tool icon in the SmartShape palette.
Hi and thank you. The piece is in G Major. The Bb trumpet note is E. The only trill I can get is to F#. I want to trill to F natural. Using the line tool, I selected the trill line with the natural. Lo and behold, it still trills to F#.

motet

Post by motet » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:20 pm

Looks like another thoughtless bug due to not testing. Since it's a B-flat trumpet, it's trilling a concert D. A half-step above that is E-flat, so I assume that's the problem. If you use the flat trill, it works, though of course that's incorrect notation.

A hokey solution, but one which results in correct playback and displays correct notation, is to use the flat trill and make a natural expression with an opaque background to blot out the flat. I've attached an example. If you copy the measure with the trill into a blank measure your document, the natural expression will copy with it and you can then use it where you need to.
Attachments
trill.musx
(85.66 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
0256.png
0255.png

Billy May

Post by Billy May » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:31 am

motet wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:20 pm
Looks like another thoughtless bug due to not testing. Since it's a B-flat trumpet, it's trilling a concert D. A half-step above that is E-flat, so I assume that's the problem. If you use the flat trill, it works, though of course that's incorrect notation.

A hokey solution, but one which results in correct playback and displays correct notation, is to use the flat trill and make a natural expression with an opaque background to blot out the flat. I've attached an example. If you copy the measure with the trill into a blank measure your document, the natural expression will copy with it and you can then use it where you need to.
Thanks again. Yes, I had wondered if this had to do with transposition in concert pitch and yes, the flat trill works. However, I'll need step by step to understand making a natural expression with opaque background. Do I begin by selecting the flat trill for the note, then moving that measure to a blank measure?

motet

Post by motet » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:52 pm

The purpose of copying the measure from my file into yours is to get the opaque natural expression I've made into your file. Open both my file and yours in Finale and copy and paste by selecting the measure and using Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V. After doing the copy, you can clear the target measure in your file and the expression will nonetheless remain in the repertoire of expressions.

Then write your music, using the flat trill instead of a natural trill. Then click on the note with the expression tool and find my opaque natural. It's probably in the Miscellaneous category. Assign that expression, then drag it carefully into place to cover the flat. You may want to zoom way in to do that.

Billy May

Post by Billy May » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:05 pm

motet wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:52 pm
The purpose of copying the measure from my file into yours is to get the opaque natural expression I've made into your file. Open both my file and yours in Finale and copy and paste by selecting the measure and using Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V. After doing the copy, you can clear the target measure in your file and the expression will nonetheless remain in the repertoire of expressions.

Then write your music, using the flat trill instead of a natural trill. Then click on the note with the expression tool and find my opaque natural. It's probably in the Miscellaneous category. Assign that expression, then drag it carefully into place to cover the flat. You may want to zoom way in to do that.
Thanks for your time but this may be beyond me. I have no idea how to get your opaque natural into the expressions. Perhaps if it is possible to make a natural in an opaque enclosure, that could cover the flat? Or can you tell me how to make the opaque natural?

motet

Post by motet » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:33 am

It's much harder to make the opaque natural than to copy it in.

Let's try once more. Open my file and yours at the same time in Finale. Go to the Selection tool (hit Esc a couple of times). Click on the staff beneath the E in my file until it's highlighted like this (you may have to click twice (NOT double-click).
0260.png
0260.png (114.29 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
Type Ctrl-C to copy the measure. Switch to your file. Select an empty measure by clicking in the staff. It will look like this.
0259.png
0259.png (34.75 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
Paste with Ctrl-V. The note from my file should appear. Press Backspace to clear the measure. The natural will remain in the Miscellaneous category, which you can then use to cover up your flat.

Billy May

Post by Billy May » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:40 am

OK, what I was not "getting" in my head was I am to open the musx file in Finale. However, when I attempt to do that, I get "invalid file type." Could this be because I'm using Finale 2012 (which I know I should have mentioned; sorry 'bout that).

As always, thank you.

motet

Post by motet » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:56 am

Here's a Finale 2012 version.
Attachments
trill.mus
(40.8 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

Billy May

Post by Billy May » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:26 am

motet wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:56 am
Here's a Finale 2012 version.
Wow, worked like a charm. While you're at it, and if it wouldn't be inconvenient, would you make me an opaque sharp and and flat too?

Can't thank you enough.

motet

Post by motet » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:22 pm

You can easily make the sharp and flat yourself. With the expression tool, double-click somewhere and go to the Miscellaneous category. Select the opaque natural and click Duplicate. Edit this duplicate and change the natural to a sharp by typing Ctrl+Shift+S. After clicking OK, do the same thing to create the flat (Ctrl+Shift+F).

Billy May

Post by Billy May » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:09 pm

Oh, of course. Should've thought of duplicate.

Again, many thanks for generously giving of your time and knowledge. A wonderful holiday season to you and yours!