problem with letters for bar numbers

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Andreo Basisto
Finale Version: 2011
Operating System: Windows

Post by Andreo Basisto » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:51 am

Greetings all!

I’ve prepared a stand-alone double bass part which numbers the bars from A-N for one section. When I activate Restore Measure Number Defaults to place bar numbers only at the beginning of each stave, all the letters remain over each bar. Is there any way of showing a letter only at the start of a stave, following the same positioning as for bar numbers?

Many thanks!

Andreo Basisto

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:18 pm

Usually, Rehearsal Letters are rather created as expressions (category "Rehearsal Marks", as an automatic sequence A,B,C...) and can be placed one by one manually at the desired spots (a meta-tool can speed up the process : hold down M and click in the score).

Rehearsal_letters.jpg

They appear by default at the top of the score and at the top of each part (= default score list).
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:10 pm

Measure number regions can create letters instead of numbers--no need to use rehearsal marks. The letters have the same placement options as the numbers, including only showing them at the start of each system. If I'm understanding correctly, Andreo wants ever measure "lettered," so rehearsal marks are not appropriate. Different regions can have different placements if desired, so check the settings. If you can't get it to work, upload the file here and someone will figure it out.
Attachments
0263.png

Andreo Basisto
Finale Version: 2011

Post by Andreo Basisto » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:26 pm

Greetings Motet!

Yes, you describe what I understand should happen. I'll experiment some more tomorrow and if I can't get things to work (perhaps in other files as well), I'll load my file here.

Andreo B.