Ghost held over notes in Playback

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ewindels
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by ewindels » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:47 pm

See mms. 73-74 and 79-80. There's a mush of notes from the previous measures that sounds like there's a pedal or l.v. somewhere, but I haven't notated that, and indeed have tried to purposely notate against that, but to no effect. I've also tried clearing MIDI data. Suggestions?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rt7TAj ... sp=sharing
Windows 10 Finale 2025 Noteperformer 3

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27

Post by heinzfan » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:16 pm

I've commented on this issue before but thought it was my setup. I don't have Noteperformer but even when assigning the instruments to Garritan I heard the problem. By muting each bass instrument it's the bass trombone that's sounding the blare. This only occurs when "play from leftmost measure" is selected and playback is started somewhere within the piece; it occurs at any point, not just the measures you cited. Play the piece from beginning and the problem doesn't occur. Also, turn off HP and the problem doesn't occur.

I don't know whether this is a program bug in HP or else is caused by a keyswitch that should be silent but is being triggered. Maybe open a ticket?
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

ewindels
Finale Version: 2014.5

Post by ewindels » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:23 pm

Thanks so much for the quick response, Heinz. I've tried your suggestions, but no luck. I've also tried playing back selected brass instruments alone, and also the harp and piano, but that reverb doesn't show up: only in the full playback.

I am going to ask NP about this directly, but any other suggestions are welcome.
Windows 10 Finale 2025 Noteperformer 3

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27

Post by heinzfan » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:42 pm

I don't believe it's a Noteperformer problem since this occurred when I used VSL. In experimenting it seems this occurs when an HP preference set other than "Garritan" is selected. I think there may be a bug in HP when custom preference sets are created.
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5