MIDI playing wrong sounds (Whistle instead of snare)

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

htoker
Finale Version: V26
Operating System: Mac

Post by htoker » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:22 pm

I got a big orchestral score that has a drum kit part in it. All my snare drums sound like whistles! I messed-around with the Notation Style settings in the score manager, but that messed-up my notation. That dialog box seems like a place where you assign specific sounds to specific notes on the staff; so I arranged it accordingly, only to find-out afterwards that it doesn't effect the sound. What does effect the sound seems to be the ''Sound'' column on the right of the Score Manager. But there, one can't see which notes on the drum staff correspond to which sound. It only gives you a bunch of ready-made drum set-ups, none of which fit my need. The one that fits best is the ''standard'' set under ''Make Music GM: Bank 128'', which is selected by default. It plays my toms and cymbals correctly. If only I can get it to stop whistling on snare notes (4th line from the bottom in the 5-line staff), I'd be grateful! If there's no way to turn those whistles into snare sounds, I can live with turning off the drum kit entirely, so I can listen to the rest of the orchestra at least.