Issues with Finale 27.3

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Paul Inwood
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by Paul Inwood » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:07 pm

Recently moved from Finale 26 (which I have retained, fortunately) to Finale 27.3, and have encountered a number of irritating glitches. 64-bit PC running Windows 10, 24MB of RAM.

(1) Frequent software crashes, just like the bad old days of Finale 2 on early Macs. Fortunately autosave is efficiently providing instant ASVs when this happens.
(2) When printing to Adobe PDF, the dialog box requesting a location and filename appears twice more, although the PDF has already been created. You can cancel out of it both times, but it's still annoying.
(3) I notice issues with text fonts. Palatino Linotype is appearing with less characters than usual when you are trying to enter a symbol. I also find, in a Text Box, that underlines are positioned right up against the base of the character, instead of leaving a space between baseline and underline. Is there a setting that can fix this issue? I have not found one yet.
(4) When creating clip files from material in files originated with Finale 3 and Finale 97, 27.3 will not open them and says these files are too old. I did not have this problem with Finale 26, which still handles these files normally.
(5) When selecting measures and then deleting them, the measures remain displayed until Ctrl-U is pressed. This did not happen with previous versions.
(5) Most editing functions can't be undone until you realize that Allow Undo in Preferences unchecks itself for some reason every time you open the program.

To my way of thinking, this incarnation of the software is far from being an upgrade and causes more problems than it solves. I wonder if 27.3 is designed to run with Windows 11 and not so much with Windows 10.

Any assistance on any of the above points will be much appreciated.

---------

Finally, not related to the above, I had some difficulty trying to login to this Forum today. It told me my username was incorrect and refused to send me a password reset because it said my account did not exist. The only way I could find to login was to start this new topic, when I was presented with a normal BB login, which worked.

Paul Inwood

Post by Paul Inwood » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:03 pm

Trying to attach TIFs of the same 26-originated Text Box viewed in 26 and 27.3 to illustrate the problem in point (3) above. I seem to be able to upload them, but they are not displaying for some reason.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:20 pm

This is always worth a try when you're getting crashes:

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... inale-etc-

Paul Inwood

Post by Paul Inwood » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:53 pm

Trying to upload examples of different underlining display in 26 and 27.3, this time with JPEGs.
Underline ex in 26.jpg
Underline ex in 27-3.jpg

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:52 pm

Paul let's think about this a bit. Finale 27.3 runs and is running on thousands, hundreds of thousands, of PC's and is running perfectly. It is running perfectly on my off the shelf nothing special Dell that is very similar to your machine. It will run on yours, too!

I know Finale is supposed to run with more than one occurrence as you say you have opted to keep 26 on your computer. I did too at first but saw no good reason to keep it so it is gone now. I know myself, I have had three versions all on the same computer before and saw no real problem. I did notice Windows would get confused sometimes on what default file was to be used. Sometimes it loaded the wrong preference file. I now only have 27.3 on my computer which as I said is running exceptionally well. I leave it running for days even weeks without issue.

Your computer has and is seeing a conflict with something. That is almost 100% of the time the cause for problems. Finding the conflict can be frustrating for sure. First make sure all your drivers are up-to-date. Do not let Windows driver update do that for you. Go to each one's web site and check for yourself. This is everything, the video driver, the sound driver, bluetooth, and any computer specific driver, etc. If you have external HDs unhook them for the moment. Also any other device you may have connected. Bluetooth for example.

You may need to update your fonts, too.

Did you add any new software about or around the same time you upgraded to 27.3? Disable it if you can. You need to get to as clean of state as possible and find the point 27.3 works. Then add them back one at a time. Checking as you go.

I would do as Motet suggests and delete the preference "ini" one time. If that doesn't work, I suspect it won't, there is no reason to do it again. But I would rename the 26 preference "ini" file "bak" or something so Windows can't load it by mistake. These are the things to try. One of them will work. Good hunting and luck.
EB

Oh, BTW, report back. :)
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:57 pm

Oh, BTW, one more thing do a complete uninstall and reinstall. Hopefully after you have updated your drivers and unhooked any accessories.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

musicalassumptions
Finale Version: 25.50.259
Operating System: Mac

Post by musicalassumptions » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:48 pm

Paul Inwood wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:07 pm
Recently moved from Finale 26 (which I have retained, fortunately) to Finale 27.3, and have encountered a number of irritating glitches. 64-bit PC running Windows 10, 24MB of RAM.

(1) Frequent software crashes, just like the bad old days of Finale 2 on early Macs. Fortunately autosave is efficiently providing instant ASVs when this happens.
(2) When printing to Adobe PDF, the dialog box requesting a location and filename appears twice more, although the PDF has already been created. You can cancel out of it both times, but it's still annoying.
(3) I notice issues with text fonts. Palatino Linotype is appearing with less characters than usual when you are trying to enter a symbol. I also find, in a Text Box, that underlines are positioned right up against the base of the character, instead of leaving a space between baseline and underline. Is there a setting that can fix this issue? I have not found one yet.
(4) When creating clip files from material in files originated with Finale 3 and Finale 97, 27.3 will not open them and says these files are too old. I did not have this problem with Finale 26, which still handles these files normally.
(5) When selecting measures and then deleting them, the measures remain displayed until Ctrl-U is pressed. This did not happen with previous versions.
(5) Most editing functions can't be undone until you realize that Allow Undo in Preferences unchecks itself for some reason every time you open the program.

To my way of thinking, this incarnation of the software is far from being an upgrade and causes more problems than it solves. I wonder if 27.3 is designed to run with Windows 11 and not so much with Windows 10.

Any assistance on any of the above points will be much appreciated.

---------

Finally, not related to the above, I had some difficulty trying to login to this Forum today. It told me my username was incorrect and refused to send me a password reset because it said my account did not exist. The only way I could find to login was to start this new topic, when I was presented with a normal BB login, which worked.
I have the same problem. But on a Mac 12.5.1 undo is simply not possible with Finale version 26.1.643. The undo options in Edit are not clickable. Plus when I go into prefrences the "allow undo" is checked. I have unchecked it, applied it, rechecked it, and applied it again, and there is still no undo. This started happening only recently.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:13 pm

If something did work, but now it doesn’t, first try a complete shutdown and restart of the computer. If the problem persists, refresh the Finale preferences.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

motet

Post by motet » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:28 pm

Paul Inwood

Post by Paul Inwood » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:07 am

Trying again for wisdom from the group.

The issue is the way 27.3 displays underlined text in text boxes, compared with 26.3 and all earlier versions. I'm atttaching two graphics which will hopefully illustrate the issue more clearly. Both use the identical font. Click on both images to see the problem

I also notice that in 27.3 the font (Palatino Linotype) only has about a third of the number of characters of the same font in 26.3. Don't know if this relates to the other issue.

Wondering also if 27.3 only works properly with Windows 11. I have not yet upgraded from Windows 10.
Attachments
Sample graphic with text underline 26-3.jpg
Sample graphic with underline 27-3.jpg

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:23 pm

Paul Inwood,

As Far As I Know, this is a document specific setting, not a program specific setting.

Try this:

1) Open the Finale document.

2) Document menu > Document Options > Lines & Curves

What are the settings in the pane {Underline Options} ?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

wessmusic
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by wessmusic » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:57 pm

Hi Peter,

Unfortunately, your advice is not applicable to the Window version of the program, because the underline options in Lines & Curves are simply missing.

Since I don't work under Windows, I don't know if these settings have been moved to another menu. I guess Win users could help better.

_____

@Paul Inwood
Regarding the font and underlining issues - I don't think this is a problem of the program version itself, as on both platforms the underlining looks appropriate to me, as does the full set of glyphs in Palatino Linotype.

I can, however, assume that if an old defaults file is used, this may already be creating inconsistencies.
I've run into similar situations myself over 23 years ago when I worked primarily on PC.
The solution was to do the setups under Mac and transfer the desired settings file to the Window version.

Cheers,
Wess
CUSTOM FONTS for FINALE and SIBELIUS
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f0udkrvb8xvh2zj/AAD_8mVlRzzr5mjZKI7BR7Kza?dl=0
________
Finale user since 1994

gdelanghe
Finale Version: 25.0.0.6858

Post by gdelanghe » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:43 am

My V27 was printing by Adobe PDF fine until this latest update. Now even when I uncheck use system fonts only, it ouputs a corrupt file that won't open. Still waiting on answer from support. Using Microsoft Print to PDF now
Attachments
Adobe pdf INCOMPATIBILITY.jpg

motet

Post by motet » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:53 pm

Looks like you've posted this in the wrong topic. It is indeed an issue with 27.4, the latest update.