Piano reduction plug not working?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

TonyEastwood
Finale Version: 27.0.0708
Operating System: Windows

Post by TonyEastwood » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:50 am

I've trying to add piano reduction to 3 short choral pieces 3 pages ( landscape A4 50 bars) and 5 pages and 9 pages .

I'm just using the piano reduction plug in straight out-of-the-box. For all three pieces it begins processing – but never completes. If I stop finale after 15 minutes and let it recover the document I find it's done a little bit of work e.g. for the three page piece it's added the first 10 bars as a piano reduction – the rest of the piano part is blank.

I'd guess that the piano reduction plug-in "normally" works so does anyone have any idea as to why it doesn't work for me? The only two special features are 1) I'm using the note player plug-in for the audio 2) my score is landscape A4.

For point 1 ) I did try reassigning sounds standard Finale audio. But it did not make a difference.

I've attached the nine page piece if anyone wants to see if they have the same experience.

cheers

tony
Attachments
Ch01.HenFenywFachCyweli.musx
(246.85 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
compostions at https://guitarcompositions.wordpress.com/

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:23 pm

Hangs for me, too. They probably haven't bothered to test that plug-in for a decade or two. You might try the JW Staff Polyphony plug-in.

TonyEastwood
Finale Version: 27.0.0708

Post by TonyEastwood » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:38 pm

Thank you for testing it.

Actually the plug-in, even where it does work, doesn't quite do what I would want it to do – the result is more like a variation on 'implode' - each piano stave has all the note tails in the same direction. For choral work my conductor would expect two parts on each piano stave – with both up and down note tails representing the soprano and alto – and the tenor and bass. It's much less playable for the pianist – but it's more what some folks expect – e.g. look at the Curwen edition of Holst's unaccompanied songs (IMSLP278260-PMLP131871-Holst_Op36)and you find the piano part ('for rehearsal only ') is written in exactly that kind of short score.

As you undoubtedly know – one can easily create that kind of short score by copying two layers in each of the two piano staves.

thanks again for your help

Tony
compostions at https://guitarcompositions.wordpress.com/