Measure number regions: Different ones for linked parts and linked "parts score"

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

rogue335
Finale Version: 27.3.0.137
Operating System: Windows

Post by rogue335 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:16 am

Is it possible to have different measure number regions for a linked "part scre" and linked "parts"? I need my parts score to have measure number regions similar to the full score, and my linked parts to have different regions. Full score + linked part scores need to have large font measure numbers in enclosures on every measure below bottom staff, linked parts (individual instruments) need to have measure numbers in small font directly underneath each barline.

I can make each thing happen on their own, the issue arises with the linked part scores - They inherit the properties from the measure number regions of "linked parts".

The only solution I've come across is to make separate files for each: 1 for the full score, 1 for each part score (at least 2, sometimes 3) and then prepare linked parts in one or the other.

This is a real pain, I'm working with compositions that "live" as they are performed/rehearsed for months. And having to deal with 2 separate files is ripe for making errors. If anyone has insight to a workaround to this, I would greatly appreciate it!

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:37 pm

rogue335 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:16 am
Is it possible to have different measure number regions for a linked "part scre" and linked "parts"?
Open the Part Score, select the Measure Tool and in the Measure Menu on the menubar pick Edit Measure Number Regions. There are 2 tabs - one for the score and one for the parts. Is this what you want?
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

rogue335
Finale Version: 27.3.0.137

Post by rogue335 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:21 am

No. I am familiar with the region menu and how that functions normally. Basically I am looking for a work-around that would functionally accomplish the same thing as if there were a 3rd tab to that Edit measure number regions dialog.

1 region of numbers

1 set of font/positioning parameters for the full score
1 set of font/positioning parameters for a part that I have defined as including specific staves from the full score (part's score)
1 set of font/positioning parameters for the linked parts, which are single instruments.

Dorico seems to have this functionality due to the way parts are linked to players, so I may just have to bite the bullet and switch over.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:32 am

Measure numbers at the beginning of each system are generally good enough for everyone.