Slur settings question

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bj nick
Finale Version: v26, NP3
Operating System: Windows

Post by bj nick » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:03 pm

I often get this sort of "ballooning" aspect to slurs....I've tried to set the "slur contour," as I'm thinking that would be the logical setting, but it doesn't seem to help achieve a more normal/reasonable-looking slur. Thanks for any tips on this.
ballooning slurs.musx
(166.17 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Finale v. 26, Windows 10, NP3, Garritan Instruments for Finale

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by John Ruggero » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:19 pm

It has to do with the contour of the final few notes. Finale's slurs are not sophisticated enough to deal with complex slur shapes automatically. That is where the user comes in. On the other hand, I find shaping slurs one of the most satisfying parts of music engraving from the visual point of view, so it doesn't bother me. It may be some time before software can deal with every possibility.

Your slurs will look better if you set the tips to something other than zero.

You might look at https://notat.io/viewtopic.php?t=107 and other threads about slurs at Notat.io
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:37 pm

Here is a possible adjustment that looks better. Note the slur tip on the right is further above the note than usual. That's a common adjustment in situations like this. And, as John Ruggero suggests, make the slur tips a bit wider (Smart Shape Menu - Smart Slur Opions). Try .01 inch.
Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 1.40.51 PM.jpg
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:02 pm

N's is nice. I tried it with my default slur settings to see what would happen. Then I touched it up to the point where I would leave it and move on, since life is short. Patterns like this are not easy. If you want to see my settings go to the url I gave in my last post.
slurs.png
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

bj nick
Finale Version: v26, NP3
Operating System: Windows

Post by bj nick » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:10 pm

Both of your suggestions make sense.....I'm going to try these. I guess I should have figured it's the shape/contours/pattern of the notes that make it difficult for Finale to figure out how to make the slur the perfect shape. Haven't really had this issue much, but this particular piece has that melodic pattern/ shape all over the place, which is why I'm having to adjust so many. Thanks for these suggestions; I'll put them into practice.
Finale v. 26, Windows 10, NP3, Garritan Instruments for Finale