beaming policy

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

lynndavidnewton
Finale Version: 25.5.0.259
Operating System: Mac

Post by lynndavidnewton » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:00 pm

Running latest Finale on Mac. Which I'm sure doesn't matter.

Isn't there a way to change default beaming policy, e.g. in 4/4 where eighth notes are often grouped in fours, but I'd like them in 2's?

I know any beam can be changed, i.e. broken, e.g. using Speedy Entry and the / character, but then I need to change a bunch. I've just been living with it. Besides, most of the time I do want beams grouped in fours. But on some scores I want 2's, and I'm thinking there's a way to change the default so they go in the way I want upon initial entry, but I've searched and been unable to find it.

Surely some wizard here knows. Thanks as always.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:57 pm

Image1.png

lynndavidnewton
Finale Version: 25.5.0.259

Post by lynndavidnewton » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:32 pm

Outstanding! Exactly what I'm looking for.

One of my goals for 2023 is to do a complete review of Finale and to explore some of the corners I should know about but don't. I'd completely forgotten there was a whole document options page with a zillion things that can be set. I know I've seen and used it before.

dtoub
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by dtoub » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:26 pm

I actually didn't know about that option in Document Options (probably bc I don't go to that section of Document Options), but what I've always done is either:
  • Utilities:Rebeam:Rebeam to Time Signature and change the time signature to make the beaming work (eg, 2/1)
  • Patterson Plugins (commercial): Beam Selection
Of the two, since I purchased Patterson a year or more ago, I use that the most since it works fast and does what I need it to do. But for minor beaming changes, Speedy Edit "/" works well also.
http://dbtmusic.wordpress.com

https://dtoub.bandcamp.com/

Finale 27.x/macOS Sonoma/GPO 5/NotePerformer/Perfect Layout/Reason 12