Mac Keyboard Shortcut Question

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:43 pm

Ever since I upgraded to Finale 27 *and* to Mac OS 13 (which I did at about the same time), a basic shortcut for toggling between files within the same application—command-`—works for me only sporadically, but rarely, within Finale. It used to work all the time, and it still works for me in every application except Finale.

Is anyone else having this problem, and does anyone have a fix for it?

I am frequently needing to work with several Finale windows open, going back and forth between them, and it's annoying to have to go to the Window menu, pull down, and select the file I want, especially when that has never been necessary before.

Thanks,

Mark

OS 13.1
Finale 27

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:31 pm

Through the years there have been reports of problems with having two Finale documents open at the same time.
Like e. g. saving in one document overwrites the other document.

I do not know whether the problem has been fixed in the later upgrades/updates, though.

If you in one of the documents only need to view/see what is there (= no copying/editing), then you could just as well open a PDF file in Preview.

Then, toggle between Finale and Preview via Command-Tab.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by mark carlson » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:38 pm

Thanks, Peter. I actually need access to 2 or more Finale files at the same time.

I just find it strange and frustrating that, for years, I have easily toggled between files using command-`, but only since I upgraded to Finale 27 has that stopped working.

Mark