Expression alignment point

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

sPretzel
Finale Version: Finale 2007
Operating System: Windows

Post by sPretzel » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:27 pm

Hi,

For an expression, Finale shows what it calls an "alignment point". In the attached image, it is the blue dot for each expression. The measure has four beats yet when I look at the last expression under Edit Expression Assignment, I see that its alignment point is beat 5. How exactly does this work?

In this image, the expression is defined as aligned to left of primary notehead and that is exactly where the alignment point is. I am observing odd behaviour in another file where this alignment point does not align with where it is meant to as defined for the expression. For example, I can define it for aligned to Center of All Noteheads but the alignment point can be before or after the note, though the expression itself is aligned correctly to the centre of the notes.

This is for F27.1.
Thanks.
Attachments
expressionalignmentpoint.jpg

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:28 am

I think the dot is showing which beat it's attached to rather then center of/left of notehead, so would be the same in either case, but the expression itself will align accordingly.

An expression is attached to a beat but can also have an offset from the alignment point, depending on how it was created; right-click on the handle and pick Edit assignment to see that. To clear the offsets for one or more expression assignments, select their handles and press Backspace (or Mac equivalent). Applying dynamics with metatools will avoid these offsets.

If you watch the cursor as you move it horizontally underneath the notes with the Expression tool, you'll notice that it changes between a solid arrow and a hollow one. The solid arrow will assign it to the beat the note is on; with the hollow arrow, Finale will pick the nearest beat. It is indeed possible to attach it to beat 5 in a 4/4 measure as you have done.

sPretzel
Finale Version: Finale 2007

Post by sPretzel » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:10 pm

Hi motet,
Thanks for the explanation. I did end up realising the alignment point (dot) was attached to the beat, not to where I defined in the expression. I found out the issue was that I had beats close to the notes, before and after, and I had mistakenly attached some of the expressions to the wrong beat. This was creating different horizontal alignments for the expressions which puzzled me. Problem solved.
Beat 5 is weird though because it is in the previous measure!