hiding rests in simpler polyphonic music

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

lynndavidnewton
Finale Version: 25.5.0.259
Operating System: Mac

Post by lynndavidnewton » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:57 pm

The attached image (a screenshot of one measure, not an actual MUSX file) illustrates a fundamental situation that I'm sure everyone who reads this forum has dealt with a million times. This comes up constantly, particularly in keyboard music, but in other instruments as well.

All I really want to see is a quarter note downstem C against two eights on the second beat

Is there a FASTER and EASIER way to accomplish that without having to add rests for the rest of the bar on a second level and then hide those rests?

Ideally, say the first beat was Bb-C-D rather than A-Bb-C, I'd also like them to be on downstems without having to flip it after hiding the rest, which also comes up often.

I'm willing to concede that the C on the second beat needs to be added using level 2.
Attachments
onebar.png

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:00 pm

I believe there is. You can use Voices instead of Layers. Voices can "launch" from any specified note within the measure.

But I never use Voices, so I am no expert. Why that is, I can't quite explain, except that I like the simplicity of layers.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:25 pm

Yes, it can be done with Voice 1 / Voice 2.

Always launch V2 from the “bigger” note value (in this case the quarternote).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:58 pm

You can use the JW Change plugin to hide the rests in layer 2. Just set Rests>Visibility>Hide>Filter Layer 2.
http://finaletips.nu/index.php/download ... c-plug-ins
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3