Triplet with Quarter + Quarter + 2 Eighths can't be entered

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tomd
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by tomd » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:58 pm

I'm using Finale 27 on a mac. I've used Finale for years and this is the first issue I can't find a solution for.

My piece is in 4/4 time. I want to enter a measure with 2 quarter note triplets, with the second triplet having 2 eighth notes instead of the third quarter note.

The problem is, I can't enter this mixed triplet as the second triplet in the measure. I can enter it as the first triplet, but then I cant enter a normal quarter triplet before it.

I can get the timing I want by entering a sextuplet of eighth notes with 2 pairs of tied eighths like this:
Triplet 2.png
This is not easy to read, but I could use it. I've read several posts from people having similar issues but not exactly like this problem. I'm using simple entry triplet tool. I also tried tuplets tool (Option + 9). It seems like there is a bug, since I can enter the triplet I want in the first half of the measure, like this:
Triplet 3.png
.. but not the second half. Then, if I have the mixed triplet entered in the first half of the measure as in the picture above, I can't enter another triplet before it. However, I can enter 2 quarters before it, like this:
Triplet 1.png
If I have 2 quarters entered, I can't enter the mixed triplet in the second half of the measure. It seems like Finale just doesn't like having the mixed triplet in the second half of the measure. Does anyone have any advice for a workaround?

Thanks!
Tom
Last edited by tomd on Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:24 pm

If you're using Simple entry, the 9 key to set up the tupet, and ABCDEDFG entry on the computer keyboard, it's a bug. The solution is to enter the two eighth notes with the mouse. MIDI Simple entry input doesn't have the problem, nor does Speedy entry.

If that's not what you're doing, tell us exactly how you're trying to enter the triplet.

tomd

Post by tomd » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:42 am

I've never used Speedy Entry or a midi keyboard with Finale. I'll look into using Speedy entry without midi if that's possible I just use Simple Entry to select the note duration (quarter, eighth, etc) and the trackpad pointer to position and enter the notes one at a time.

What I did first is how I think it should work with Simple Entry:

- Starting with a blank measure, enable the triplet and select the quarter note in Simple Entry
- Enter the first triplet with 3 quarters
- Enter the first two quarters in the second triplet
- Select the eighth note in Simple Entry, keeping the triplet enabled
- Enter the first eighth note
- I cant enter the second eighth note, and this is what I get:
Triplet 4.png
It looks like Finale is just leaving enough room at the end of the second triplet for a 16th note after the first 8th when I enter it this way.

Anyway, I'll check speedy entry next.

motet

Post by motet » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:18 am

I think you'll want to stick with Simple entry if you use the mouse. To enter the final eighth note, you'll need to turn off the Simple entry option "check for extra notes." It's a bug.

tomd

Post by tomd » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:39 am

That works. Thanks!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:58 am

Just to clarify:

The issue only happens if you
- do not use one of the entry methods that avoid the issue,
- try to end a measure with a tuplet,
- have the option “Check for Extra Notes” selected (The actual problem is that the measure will be temporarily “overfilled” during tuplet entry).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:06 pm

No fancy footwork needed.

5 (for quarter note), enter note.
Alt/Opt 9 for triplet dialogue box, 3 quarters in the space of two quarters, save as default, OK.
Enter next two notes to complete first triplet.
Enter next note, 9, enter second note.
4 (for eighth note) enter last two notes.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 8.05.08 AM.jpg
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:37 pm

tomd,

I recommend that you study Mike Rosen’s tutorial for tuplet entry.

You can find it here:
http://www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet

Post by motet » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:41 pm

You're right that that works for QWERTY entry, but for mouse entry you need to turn off "check for extra notes."

There seem to be a few bugs in Simple Entry related to entering (mixed?) tuplets at the end of a measure. They've know about this for probably two decades. QWERTY, mouse, and MIDI entry all behave differently, and hours have been wasted by both the bugs' victims and those trying to help them. Can't they fix nasty bugs like this? How hard can it be?

tomd

Post by tomd » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:04 am

Peter, Miker, Thanks for that. It looks like a great resource.

motet, I agree. I spent a few hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong before asking for help.

Anyway I've moved on now that I know how this function works. Thanks everyone!
Tom