MusicXML: "Silence error messages "... doesn't

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bruce59
Finale Version: Finale v25.5.0.290
Operating System: Windows

Post by bruce59 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:21 pm

I'm using Finale v25 with Windows 10.

While exporting, then importing Finale-based MusicXML files sometimes works fine, I've encountered a number of cases with more complex orchestral files where the import step first displays several error messages, followed by successfully displaying the work.

I've tried using MusicXML Preferences and selecting "Silence error messages" for import, but this seems to have no effect. The same error messages appear, and I have to dismiss them before the work will appear.

While normally this is just something I could easily ignore, I need to provide exported MusicXML versions of many of my works that others can access using the import MusicXML function, and telling then to ignore any error messages when importing the files is not an option.

So either I need to find a way to successfully suppress the MusicXML errors, or I cannot use this feature, unfortunately.

Any ideas of what else I could try?

Thanks,

Bruce

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Wed May 03, 2023 8:29 pm

In my experience, heavy editing tends to corrupt MIDI Data, among other things (Finale loathes complexity). I do not know if the following will help you, but it has resolved a variety of issues for me, and has never done any harm.

1. Highlight all the tracks in the document -> right-click in any part of the highlighted area -> Clear Selected Items.
2. Select "None" -> check "MIDI Data" box -> OK.
3. Save the document -> exit Finale -> re-open the document.