SMuFL conversion: Maestro to Finale Maestro

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mdriscoll
Finale Version: 2012

Post by mdriscoll » Tue May 16, 2023 9:25 pm

I am having difficulty converting a number of my existing files from the legacy Maestro font to Finale Maestro (SMuFL). It does not appear to be correctly re-mapping the fonts and I get all sorts of weird characters.

Methods I've tried:
1) Documents -> Set Default Music Font -> Finale Maestro
2) Document Options -> Fonts -> Notation: Noteheads -> Finale Maestro

I have been able to get it to convert correctly by first exporting the file to XML, then reimporting it, then changing the default music font to Finale Maestro. That method removes a lot of fine-tuning of spacing in the original and I'd prefer to avoid it if I can.

I've attached a sample file like the ones that are not converting correctly.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this!
Attachments
Forget You - test file.musx
(128.09 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Tue May 16, 2023 9:38 pm

Why not keep your files in the non-SMuFL format and save yourself the trouble?
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue May 16, 2023 9:44 pm

I personally see no benefit to SMuFL (only problems), but I only do conventional notation in Western languages.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Wed May 17, 2023 3:15 pm

I make all my new documents with SmuFL but I am not concerned with older ones that are not SMuFL. They seem to be OK as is.
I know that didn't answer your question but I am not sure there is a way to do it with out extra effort.

Of course the very best thing to do is to print a hard copy and archive it. The old Finale files still print as good as they ever did.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

dtoub
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by dtoub » Wed May 17, 2023 4:43 pm

For long-finished scores that one has already notated in a non-SMuFL font, there is no advantage in converting to a SMuFL font (unless if you're like me and wanted to change to a different font that happens to be SMuFL). Maestro looks the same as Finale Maestro etc. The only real advantages I can say for SMuFL are
  • more glyphs within the font if you need things like quarter tone symbols etc
  • ability to use newer fonts as defaults, which happen to be SMuFL (I use some of the free SMuFL fonts out there because I'm cheap)
But as far as being able to take a document and convert to a SMuFL font (or fonts; you can change fonts for clefs, text etc and mix things up), it's pretty easy. Just change the default music font, and for things like clefs it's also easy even if buried within the Document Settings...
http://dbtmusic.wordpress.com

https://dtoub.bandcamp.com/

Finale 27.x/macOS Sonoma/GPO 5/NotePerformer/Perfect Layout/Reason 12