Need clef changes at start of many measures

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Craig_M
Finale Version: 26.3.1.643
Operating System: Mac

Post by Craig_M » Thu May 18, 2023 8:00 pm

I am using Finale version 26 on Mac OS 12.6.1.

I have a document with many clef changes, which I want to appear at the beginning of the selected measures. However, when I use the Change Clef Dialog box, Finale inserts the clef sign at the end of the previous measure, as opposed to placing it where I need it, at the beginning of the selected measure.

How can I make the clef change appear at the beginning of the measure?

Thank you for any help.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Thu May 18, 2023 8:04 pm

Int the lower right corner of the clef change dialog, check "Place clef after barline."

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu May 18, 2023 8:14 pm

Craig_M,

Are you creating worksheets ?

Take a look at the attached Finale documents.
Attachments
Worksheet 1.musx
(13.8 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Worksheet 2.musx
(13.05 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Worksheet 3.musx
(18.94 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Craig_M

Post by Craig_M » Thu May 18, 2023 8:35 pm

motet wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:04 pm
Int the lower right corner of the clef change dialog, check "Place clef after barline."
Thank you! That worked.

Craig_M

Post by Craig_M » Thu May 18, 2023 8:37 pm

Peter, Worksheet 3 is very close to what I'm trying to create. How did you do it? Or can you unlock it and I can make changes to it? The big problem I've been having is using the same clef sign in consecutive measures.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu May 18, 2023 8:56 pm

Craig_M wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:37 pm
Peter, Worksheet 3 is very close to what I'm trying to create. How did you do it? Or can you unlock it and I can make changes to it? The big problem I've been having is using the same clef sign in consecutive measures.
Craig_M,

1) Open my attached {Worksheet 3}.

2) Switch to The Page Layout Tool.
If you look in the Page Layout menu, you will see that the option
Avoid Margin Collisions
is de-selected.
And therefore Finale allows negative system margin values in this document.

3) As you probably know, the Page Layout Tool displays a system number to the left of each system.
In my attached {Worksheet 3} there are four 1-measure systems positioned horizontally next to each other (displaying the four system numbers in the same place).
This is done by (in the System Margins) setting the Distance Between Systems to a negative value.

I hope that this is clear ?

If not, ask again.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Craig_M

Post by Craig_M » Thu May 18, 2023 10:25 pm

Peter: Actually, I had never before used the Page Layout function, and it is a revelation to me. Thank you so much for telling me about it.

I'm about to start experimenting with the page layout tool. If you don't mind, I want to start by adapting your worksheet 3 for my purposes and I will also experiment with creating my own worksheets from scratch.

I don't want to lose connection with you because you are such a valuable resource and I am sure I will soon have more questions.

Your help is much appreciated.
Craig

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:56 pm
Craig_M wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:37 pm
Craig_M,

1) Open my attached {Worksheet 3}.

2) Switch to The Page Layout Tool.
If you look in the Page Layout menu, you will see that the option
Avoid Margin Collisions
is de-selected.
And therefore Finale allows negative system margin values in this document.

3) As you probably know, the Page Layout Tool displays a system number to the left of each system.
In my attached {Worksheet 3} there are four 1-measure systems positioned horizontally next to each other (displaying the four system numbers in the same place).
This is done by (in the System Margins) setting the Distance Between Systems to a negative value.

I hope that this is clear ?

If not, ask again.

bakkumd
Finale Version: 25, 26, 27

Post by bakkumd » Fri May 19, 2023 12:36 am

If you are creating music worksheets - I've included a link to an RGP Lua plugin that will create columns and rows of staff systems based on your input.

The plugin is from the French Finale site - I've attempted to translate the dialogs as best I can. I use it frequently.

For auto question-numbering, use rehearsal marks or measure numbers with the prefix/suffix options for question numbers and/or answer lines.

The plugin uses the first staff system to set the row distances - so get your first system in the desired location with system margins about 0.3 inches. Then run the plugin - set your options and then click. Instantly aligned rows/columns with user defined systems per row, etc.

If you don't like the result, run it again and change the settings. No need to select a region - the plugin auto-selects all measures in the score or part.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AY4k1g ... sp=sharing

(Please let me know if the link isn't working)

These three worksheet style documents were created with 2 clicks each using this plugin:
Worksheet Examples.jpg
Grand staff worksheet.jpg
Finale 25, 26, 27, Patterson Plug-ins, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Perfect Layout Gold, Keyboard Maestro, Adobe CS6 - CC, MacOS Mojave through Monterey. NotePerformer 3, Dorico 4, Sibelius Ultimate.

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27

Post by Bill Stevens » Fri May 19, 2023 11:39 am

This looks great. Can you give instructions on how to make it work? Does "mise en colonnes" go in the plug-ins folder?

::: Bill Stevens
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sat May 20, 2023 11:51 am

It is a JW Lua script (published by the French forum Finalisons https://finale-aide.fr/viewtopic.php?t=55) that you can use with the (more recent) RGP Lua plug-in (by Robert Patterson).
First, you have to install RGP Lua into your plug-ins folder. Download it here : https://robertgpatterson.com/-fininfo/- ... gplua.html.
Create a subfolder to store the plug-in and the scripts you will collect (name it something like "RGP Lua & scripts). The 'Mise en colonnes" script will go there.
Then, launch RPG Lua (from the plug-ins menu), locate and load the script. Restart Finale.
Do this for each version of Finale (26, 27) you use.
More details :https://www.finalelua.com/help
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat May 20, 2023 5:45 pm

You can download RGP Lua from finalelua.com, where they have instructions. It's rather baroque, so you'll need the instructions.