VST 3 update

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

micwarren21
Finale Version: v25.5.0.290
Operating System: Windows

Post by micwarren21 » Tue May 23, 2023 3:47 pm

I have version 27, I'd love to be able to use Musio for sounds except that it only installs a VST 3. I haven't upgraded to Kontakt 7, so I can still Kontakt 6 n Finale. Kontakt 7 only uses VST 3. I use Cubase as my DAW, but as of latest version 12 Pro, they no longer support any VST 2s. I was really surprised to see that Finale does not support VST 3 yet. Is there any chance that there will be an update to Finale that does? I'd hate to have to pay full price for the next version that might. Considering that most plugins at this time are VST 3s.

Bill Reed
Finale Version: 25.2

Post by Bill Reed » Wed May 24, 2023 1:15 pm

I don't think many people here find this surprising :) Sibelius doesn't have VST3 support either, even with Avid behind it. One thing you can be sure is that it won't be added to v27 as an update.

In the meantime there are some workarounds.

-You can use an intermediate host program like Vienna Ensemble Pro, with will host VST3 plugins while being VST2 in Finale

-You can install Kontakt 7 to use in Cubase while keeping Kontakt 6 to use in Finale. Whatever sound libraries you have will likely work the same in either.
Finale 25, Overture, Sibelius, Notion, Cubase, StaffPad
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Foster 190

micwarren21
Finale Version: v25.5.0.290

Post by micwarren21 » Wed May 24, 2023 1:23 pm

Thanks for your response. I'm stil a little disappointed about it. I really wanted to use Musio patches, but Musio only loads a vst3. I will try the workaround you mentioned.